Typical corporate environment

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Benton Harbor, MI
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent opportunity to learn a wide range of business and technical skills. Good place to start a career.

Cons

Talent evaluation process is very over engineered. I have seen way too many great people passed over simply because we have to fulfill a ridiculous HR distribution. It's like "Corporate Hunger Games"

You're a midwestern manufacturer - stop pretending that you're in Silicon valley. Instead of trying to force fit talent inside the constraints of a text book curve, try having some faith in your managers and their ability to keep/grow talent and weed out under performers.

Other Reviews for Whirlpool

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Saint Joseph, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that work there. What is left of the culture before Whirlpool expanded over the last 30 years. The company is large enough to move around and many managers are supportive to career moves.

Cons

The organization is too tall. I know a few engineers (including senior level) whose 5th supervisor is his director (4 supervisors/managers vertically before hitting the director). Designer/drafters & Technicians are often even farther down. For this reason it is easy for upper management to not see people, but numbers. They continue to chip away at what good things were left from being a small company and bringing in a mix of good & bad large company policies. The company continues to reduce benefits and perks to make them the same as the industry "average" yet continue to demand miraculous results, therefore they get an average rating from me. Pay is on the low side, but there is not much else in the area without driving an hour. I know of several people, including engineers, who have 2nd jobs to make ends meet. I would recommend to a friend, but with an astrix - It is better than working at KMart.

For Upper management - Ditch your brown nosing entourage and come talk to a straight shooter 5-7 levels below you if you want to hear the truth. Everything is very filtered by the time it gets 3 levels below you, let alone to your level.

Great boss... but that was about all that was good...

Former Employee - Engineering  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good location and cost of living. Open, friendly people deeper in the organization

Cons

Bad CEO who is only focused on short term gain and a disfunctional executive team who cannot seem to work togther.

Corporate culture starts at the top. Set a better example.

There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!