There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool

Where good ideas go to die, but you can make a killing at killing them.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Amana, IA
Current Employee - Project Engineer in Amana, IA

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities for advancement and internal development. Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance. Iowa is a lovely state and this is a great area to raise a family.

Cons

A typical, political, corporate ladder climbers environment. If you are good at spin and getting other people to do what you need you can go far fast. Very task oriented work vs process oriented. Continuous improvement on the manufacturing floor gets little more than lip service and is measured in "heads" reduced. Culture is stuck in the 80's. Innovation is feared and risk is not tolerated. Poor strategy deployment.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of opportunity left on the table by treating manufacturing facilities as contract manufacturers for the marketing organization instead of a partner.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The grass is always greener on the other side

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Still a solid global player driving good business results through scale and muscle. The recent changes in working culture have helped create a better environment despite a cut-throat management culture. Good values and still a decent culture.

Cons

Moving too slow to keep up with competition - hard to believe the strategy will hold in the long run. If you are not in the inner circle no chance to move up.

Advice to Management

Change from a "who knows you" to a "real results-based, values oriented" talent management system. Share the wealth with employees.

2. A good place to work

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They did a good job respecting work-life balance, The location of the tech center was a short walk to Lake Michigan

Cons

I had a long drive because I chose not to relocated to Benton Harbor. The working environment depends on the manager. The first manager I had was great. The second drove me out.

Advice to Management

Be careful of who you choose for middle managers. They make or break (in my case) the workforce.