White House Black Market

White House Black Market-- the good and the bad

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Greenwood, IN
Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at White House Black Market

Pros

An excellent discount is given to both full and part-time employees-- 40% off full-price merchandise and 10% off of clearance items. Training emphasizes connecting with customers, which truly helps build trust and rapport with them. The company offers bonuses according to the sale range per transaction which is an excellent way to earn extra money.

Cons

The dress code can be fairly strict in the beginning when you are not sure of what is allowed and what isn't. After working there for a few months, however, the associate will become accustomed to what is permitted. Employees can easily come off as "pushy" instead of helpful if not careful. Managers become too obsessed with the numbers, which can make associates feel pressured to sell more items.

Senior management would do well to not obsess so much about numbers but instead focus more on pleasing the customer. If the customer is pleased, she (or he) will buy more items.

307 Other Employee Reviews for White House Black Market (View Most Recent)

Great place to kickstart a career in retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at White House Black Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- GREAT discount
    - The managers and assistant managers are there to make sure you're doing your job and you're doing it well. You always learn something new about the product, and even things such as material and cut.
    - Really high, but doable, sales goals. These goals kept me on my toes!

Cons

- Very, very little room for growth. I initially accepted the job because I was told I could easily receive a promotion after a few months of working due to my lengthy retail experience, but that was never the case.
    - The pay is seriously awful. I'd really only take the job if you're in need of something to do/someone is supporting you financially, or you want a great discount. It's minimum wage.
    - The hours are just as awful as the pay. You are given hours based on how high your UPT is, and even that is disgraceful: the most amount of days I ever got in a week was three.

Very upbeat and helpful staff.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is very understanding when asking for time off. Flexible schedules.

Cons

A little too pushy with customers. The quality of the clothes is not that great.

Don't overwhelm the customer with too much clothes in the fitting rooms.

There are newer employer reviews for White House Black Market