There are newer employer reviews for WhiteHat Security

A company in transition, realizing its potential

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I joined WhiteHat it was as a database engineer and statistical analyst. In the first months I made a graph tracking the growth in sites under service, and it was a surprisingly textbook hockey stick curve. I had to make it again earlier this year because the data analyst was on vacation and it was the exact same curve - only the numbers were different.

WhiteHat's growth has not been meteoric by the standards of silicon valley, but we have set aggressive goals and continued to meet them. I have seen us more than quadruple the total number of employees in my tenure. That has meant great opportunities for those who went after them - I moved into Product Management, saw a friend go from being a developer to the Director of Engineering, and helped an old college friend who spent years in retail finally start a career that is going somewhere.

It has also meant some dislocation with the introduction of changes necessary to support a larger organization, and with the imbalances and corrections that come with rapid growth. We went from no HR at all to a robust and active organization including internal recruitment, from Enterprise Sales only to a large and active SMB inside sales team, from two big rooms in a dumpy little building on Bunker Hill to a floor and a half of a nice glass walled building on Freedom Circle. In the process there were some real missteps, and more that reasonable people could believe were mistakes. However most of the people I knew at the beginning are still here, and we are making and meeting goals now that we would have thought impossible three years ago. I still see problems and difficulties, but that just means we have room to keep getting better and more successful.

Through all this WhiteHat has continued a to have a strong standard of excellence, even as we strive to deliver it on a broader scale. We have maintained a culture of doing the right thing and making a positive difference. It is not always easy from the inside to see how well we've done, but I've been lucky enough to not only be listening to complaints and solving problems, but to be in the room a few times when a CIO says "without you, I couldn't do my job - I'd just be waiting to take the blame."

Pros: Still "doing well by doing good", great entry level opportunities, growing organization, opportunities to advance or change career, in an interesting and growing industry, good people, increasingly excellent leadership

Cons

I find the location inconvenient - I live in SF. WhiteHat is a 10 year old late stage startup that weathered the storm, so it has some technical and organizational baggage that is still being cleared, and new organizational structures that are good but still maturing. It has also been fairly sales driven - not surprising, given growth goals - but that seems to be smoothing out. Finally there is a perception that compensation is not great - I think that's not true for more recent hires, but can be true for people who have been around a while and not asked for a lot. We still don't have a formal review process across the organization to discover and reward performance, and the only time I asked for a raise my boss had to bargain with the CEO to get it, even though it was a rather modest increase. That wouldn't happen today.

Put some structures in place to proactively reward performance. Offer career counseling, especially to members of the TRC, even if it means they will "graduate" sooner and move on to work that we don't have for them.

55 Other Employee Reviews for WhiteHat Security (View Most Recent)

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Threat Research Center  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Threat Research Center in Houston, TX

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun Laid Back Atmosphere. Dress how you want. Flexible schedule, and no micromanagement as long as you are a motivated worker who gets the job done. Its awesome to have the opportunity of a 20K+ website sandbox to hack on.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a fast growing company. Low starting pay.

When people say that they "want to feel appreciated" they really just mean "pay me more" but are trying to say it nicely.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Applications Security Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Security Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun work environment, and people are friendly
    - Very open to changing processes dynamically
    - New higher level execs are pushing major boundaries and helping to bring about great growth in the company, they're doing a great job so far.

Cons

- Some management are stuck in their old ways of being a very small company
    - Sure, growing pains are there, but that can sometimes be used as an excuse for some subjects, like pay rates for technical positions.
    - No real performance grading, and some management aren't very responsive. This is changing soon according to HR, but we'll see.

Focus more on developing current products, and fixing current issues instead of constantly trying to keep up with competitors who probably don't even have the products they boast about.

There are newer employer reviews for WhiteHat Security

Worked for WhiteHat Security? Contribute to the Community!