Low Pay and Bad Benefits in I.T

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Probably the best reason to work at Whole Foods is the work life balance. People are generally friendly and the work can be interesting.

Cons

In the I.T. department, salaries and benefits are way below average. At a benefit category 2, which covers most Programmer/Analysts I's and II's, you only get 15 days off a year. No holidays, no sick time. Just 15 days. The health care plan is one of the worst I have ever had.

Advice to Management

You are losing very good people in I.T because of salary and benefit issues. We love Whole Foods. It is so hard to drink the koolaide though when your pay and benefits are so low compared to our peers in Austin.

reviews filtered by

The Cake is a lie, but it has some Organic ingredients

Current Employee - Team Member in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Affordable benefits for me and my family. Green Mission programs that are gaining momentum.

Cons

Closing shift then Opening shift Scheduling , Working conditions(lack of space almost unsafe), One Team Member who brings everyones moral down. This individual was recognized by John Mackey for excellent customer service. John received a letter about the situation and asked store leadership to highlight this Team Member. John should have inquired into this letters authenticity and the individuals merit.
    Now that Team Members daily poor performance is excused and is granted special privileges. I can only comment on conditions that are specific to Orlando, Whole Foods.

Advice to Management

I think the Senior Management (executive coordinators and VPs) should work a true 40 hour shift as a Team Member. Close/open schedule and be asked to stay late because the dish washer quit the day before. The biggest reason for this advice is to have Management deal with customers and hear exactly what they want. We have wandered away from that in the Florida region, our affluent snow bird customers tell me regularly. I pass this on to them in Fort Lauderdale, but falls on deaf ears.

Excellent work environment, far above retail standards

Current Employee - Associate Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Excellent benefits; an excellent work environment where everyone is in it together and works for the success of the whole; profit sharing ("Gainsharing") that benefits everyone based on their sales efficiency/productivity per hours worked; excellent opportunities for moving up appear all the time; and constant encouragement from management to take that next step to move up - everyone truly cares.

Cons

The clientele at Whole Foods is much more demanding than that of conventional markets. You must be able to embrace the idea that the customer is always right and that nobody but the store manager has the authority to say no. You must always find a way to make someone happy.

Advice to Management

Senior management communicates excellently with team members at all levels, and sets reasonable, clear expectations, leading everyone to success together.