Whole Foods Market

Low Pay and Bad Benefits in I.T

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Probably the best reason to work at Whole Foods is the work life balance. People are generally friendly and the work can be interesting.

Cons

In the I.T. department, salaries and benefits are way below average. At a benefit category 2, which covers most Programmer/Analysts I's and II's, you only get 15 days off a year. No holidays, no sick time. Just 15 days. The health care plan is one of the worst I have ever had.

You are losing very good people in I.T because of salary and benefit issues. We love Whole Foods. It is so hard to drink the koolaide though when your pay and benefits are so low compared to our peers in Austin.

1573 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

The Cake is a lie, but it has some Organic ingredients

Current Employee - Team Member in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Affordable benefits for me and my family. Green Mission programs that are gaining momentum.

Cons

Closing shift then Opening shift Scheduling , Working conditions(lack of space almost unsafe), One Team Member who brings everyones moral down. This individual was recognized by John Mackey for excellent customer service. John received a letter about the situation and asked store leadership to highlight this Team Member. John should have inquired into this letters authenticity and the individuals merit.
    Now that Team Members daily poor performance is excused and is granted special privileges. I can only comment on conditions that are specific to Orlando, Whole Foods.

I think the Senior Management (executive coordinators and VPs) should work a true 40 hour shift as a Team Member. Close/open schedule and be asked to stay late because the dish washer quit the day before. The biggest reason for this advice is to have Management deal with customers and hear exactly what they want. We have wandered away from that in the Florida region, our affluent snow bird customers tell me regularly. I pass this on to them in Fort Lauderdale, but falls on deaf ears.

Whole Foods - try it, you just might like it!!

Former Employee - Purchasing Assistant of Meat Department in Cheshire, CT
    Former Employee - Purchasing Assistant of Meat Department in Cheshire, CT

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Whole Foods is a very good company to work for. The benefits are better than any other company in which I have worked for. The employees have a say in every area of the company, they even vote every 3 years on what the benefit package should be and then the majority is the way the set up the benefits for the next 3 years. They are very family oriented, I've worked for 2 different regions and although there are some differences, for the most part it is all one big happy family, with the little quirks that you would expect to find in any family! All in all, the company is a really great company to work for, every company has it's downsides, I can honestly say though that I've never been happier working for any other company!

Cons

I have worked for 2 different regions and have found that each region isn't necessarily operating the same. That is Whole Foods though, every one in the company has a say in how things are run. I guess it's all a matter of your own personal opinions and convictions, the first region was a very family oriented region, where even our President and Vice Presidents of multiple Regional departments were in your stores multiple times a year and really cared about what the TM's had to say without Management being there! I honestly can't think of anything else that I can give input to on this subject!

I would just like to say that as in any "family" there should never be favorites chosen and treated differently than others! I have seen so much of this in the past 2 years (was with the company a total of 4 years) that I have been there and it really discourages others who are trying to work towards moving up in the company!!

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market