There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

A company steadily declining in quality

Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers options for transfers all across the county. Your results may vary; it took me a year to get one, but the opportunity in this industry to do that at all is great. PTO plan is nice and rewards time with the company via increasing PTO contributions. It's a good contingency plan for leaving the company (a pay out in full, less taxes.)

Cons

I joined the company in 2008. Since then they have opened dozens of new stores and posted all-times sales records dozens of times in the two stores I've worked at. All the while labor was cut, employee benefit premiums have doubled, and our old policy of hiring Full-Time team members (with the valid reasoning that they make more devoted, happy employees) whenever possible has turned into NEVER hire FT; let em suffer for it. In transferring regionally in a move, I've lost my FT status (benefits, voice, respect(?) ) and have worked FT hours since the week I got here. Shady.
I feel like the pressure applied to management over the last few years with lofty and unreasonable sales goals attached to lower labor budgets and new leadership agendas that work to lessen the role their team plays has severely hurt the quality of leadership within the company, on the team level and above.

I have no idea what you could do. I see it as the size and position of the company that's hurting it so much. The agendas and goals coming down from regional and corporate offices seem incredibly destructive to the culture WFM has spent 32 years creating. You're losing your support and belief in the company from the bottom up. I see a lot of disgust and resentment on your floors recently.

1513 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

It is NOT as good as it appears. It has gone down and down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees receive at least 20% discount.

Cons

It is not as good as it appears to be. It has gone down and down. Buddy systems: Employees who have integrity and abilities might not get promoted if he/she doesn't kiss up to upper 'leaders". Too many bureaucrat. Management levels are totally lack of management skills. Some are even lack of class. Most employees are frustrated and burned out. It is a big gossiping pool.

Job title doesn't reflect who you are, your character does.

all natural and organic b.s.

Former Employee - Specialty Team Member in Glastonbury, CT
    Former Employee - Specialty Team Member in Glastonbury, CT

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the discounts, wage, fellow employees and most of the products were pretty great. I enjoyed my initial few months of work here.

Cons

horrible upper management treats employees as underlings. hired me under the pretense that my school schedule was no problem; quickly put me on the schedule 5 days a week at 35 hours, after I had been hired as a 20-25 hour a week employee. production is their TOP priority, so when sales were lower than normal, extreme measures were used to scare employees into working "harder". Overall, the literature and facade of Whole Foods being a mecca for wonderful employee treatment is ridiculous

we're people with lives of our own, and do not want to be tethered into breaking our backs to present the gelato as we would our first born child. sorry.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market