There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Extremely rewarding experience, a company whose values match my own.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- No "managers", only leaders who are team members too. Equality instead of hierarchy. I don't see my CEO terribly often, but when I do we're on a first-name basis even though we have 70,000 employees. I DO see my regional president often and he always makes an effort to stay connected with all of us on a personal level which is wonderful.
- High standards for performance keep me challenged
- Feels like a family
- Freedom to make decisions and operate my team like a small business
- Great discount and Healthy Eating discount program; great benefits.

Cons

- Retail schedule: different shift times on different days, and no regular days off. No holiday time at Christmas.
- High level of mental engagement required which is good, except that it's hard to leave my thoughts at work. "Work mode" difficult to switch off.

1426 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Team Member

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great pay for younger people looking to make extra money

Cons

Very hierarchal and micro managed. Most of the upper management is uneducated and unqualified... guess thats the downside to working with a hippies. Upper management is very protective of their positions because they know that they could never get paid their salaries else where.

Start hiring some smarter people! And stick to your core values, the connection between regional and store level is degrading and i'm starting to see more and more low quality foods come in.

Not bad, but not what they pretend to be.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun people, decent pay for what the job is. Nice benefits for a field that traditionally won't provide them for employees. Employees get a discount card that almost makes it affordable to shop in the store.

Cons

If you don't "drink the Kool-Aid" you might be rolling your eyes a lot. There is an unspoken expectation that WF becomes the focus of your life. Management micro-manages staff to the point of idiocy. Try way too hard to seem hip and trendy.

Stop trying to force your staff to be WF evangelists. The store carries some good stuff and they do some good things, but in the end, they are just like any other corporation concerned with their bottom line. I wish management would own that sentiment and just stop pretending they are the little co-op from Austin. They are a giant corporation now, time to be honest about it.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!