There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Extremely rewarding experience, a company whose values match my own.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- No "managers", only leaders who are team members too. Equality instead of hierarchy. I don't see my CEO terribly often, but when I do we're on a first-name basis even though we have 70,000 employees. I DO see my regional president often and he always makes an effort to stay connected with all of us on a personal level which is wonderful.
- High standards for performance keep me challenged
- Feels like a family
- Freedom to make decisions and operate my team like a small business
- Great discount and Healthy Eating discount program; great benefits.

Cons

- Retail schedule: different shift times on different days, and no regular days off. No holiday time at Christmas.
- High level of mental engagement required which is good, except that it's hard to leave my thoughts at work. "Work mode" difficult to switch off.

1500 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Not bad, but not what they pretend to be.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun people, decent pay for what the job is. Nice benefits for a field that traditionally won't provide them for employees. Employees get a discount card that almost makes it affordable to shop in the store.

Cons

If you don't "drink the Kool-Aid" you might be rolling your eyes a lot. There is an unspoken expectation that WF becomes the focus of your life. Management micro-manages staff to the point of idiocy. Try way too hard to seem hip and trendy.

Stop trying to force your staff to be WF evangelists. The store carries some good stuff and they do some good things, but in the end, they are just like any other corporation concerned with their bottom line. I wish management would own that sentiment and just stop pretending they are the little co-op from Austin. They are a giant corporation now, time to be honest about it.

High standards, low wages

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20-30% discount on the food. Can take some food home at night that is expired. Attracts great employees. Health benefits after 400 hours of service. Interesting and liberal customers. Open door policy.

Cons

There's something to be said when Whole Foods doesn't pay the coworkers enough to actually shop there. Even with the 20-30% discount I know of a lot of people who still shop at Trader Joes. The "Gainsharing" process keeps getting smaller and smaller, so that in order to reek the benefits of your hard work your department has to be understaffed. They changed the raise system from a $1 every six months to 5% every year. There is a huge turn around of coworkers, because they can't afford to live on such low wages yet the store has high standards of product knowledge and customer service.
    Strange "Tip Jar" policy. Customers often get upset about not having a gratuity line on the bill.
    Spend unnecessary money on an employee social networking game, while tightening the screws of our health benefits and wages.
    No raise for a backup buying position.

Start listening to the employees more than the customers. If you treat us well we will treat the customers well. Pay us more. This should be a win-win. Stop getting so corporate and go back to your roots.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market