Awesome!

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cares about employee and good pay.

Cons

There is nothing cons about this company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Extremely rewarding experience, a company whose values match my own.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- No "managers", only leaders who are team members too. Equality instead of hierarchy. I don't see my CEO terribly often, but when I do we're on a first-name basis even though we have 70,000 employees. I DO see my regional president often and he always makes an effort to stay connected with all of us on a personal level which is wonderful. - High standards for performance keep me challenged - Feels like a family - Freedom to make decisions and operate my team like a small business - Great discount and Healthy Eating discount program; great benefits.

Cons

- Retail schedule: different shift times on different days, and no regular days off. No holiday time at Christmas. - High level of mental engagement required which is good, except that it's hard to leave my thoughts at work. "Work mode" difficult to switch off.

2. Not bad, but not what they pretend to be.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, decent pay for what the job is. Nice benefits for a field that traditionally won't provide them for employees. Employees get a discount card that almost makes it affordable to shop in the store.

Cons

If you don't "drink the Kool-Aid" you might be rolling your eyes a lot. There is an unspoken expectation that WF becomes the focus of your life. Management micro-manages staff to the point of idiocy. Try way too hard to seem hip and trendy.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to force your staff to be WF evangelists. The store carries some good stuff and they do some good things, but in the end, they are just like any other corporation concerned with their bottom line. I wish management would own that sentiment and just stop pretending they are the little co-op from Austin. They are a giant corporation now, time to be honest about it.