Whole Foods Market

www.wholefoodsmarket.com

More "corporate" than they admit

Team Leader (Current Employee) Key West, FL

ProsGood work environment, most leaders encourage treating team members well, decent benefits and paid time off, decent pay for Team Leaders and above, most positions are hourly and working more than 40 hours/week is rare, training for internal advancement is the culture, if you want to move up and have the abilities and can be nice and play the game politically and otherwise: the sky is the limit on how far you can go, there are a lot of young people in big jobs making huge money, the culture is cool wth most anything personal, lots of gays, lots of tats piercing funny colored hair etc, no drug testing, degrees don't matter in most positions, chatting and having fun at work is OK.

ConsI have many many years of retail and the typical WFM customer is the most spoiled, rude and self-centered ever, most days are a challenge for this one reason alone. Starting pay for entry level jobs is low and continues to be low through several promotions and years of work, pay is only competitive at the Team Leader (department manager) level and above. For management jobs the paperwork is excessive and getting worse, too much time is wasted in endless meetings, office politics can be tough to maneuver, email volumes are high and a big time-waster, more and more HR work and reporting demands are being placed on management with no increase in pay, in fact labor budgets are being reduced while the work load increases. It is hard to get rid of unpleasant people because of a system akin to tenure. Some really bad people have made it to high levels because they could play the game and now they are STL or ASTL running stores with hundreds of employees under them and they play favorites making some peoples lives H**L whilst promoting their incompetent friends. This is no hippy-dippy place to work, it is just regular corporate America.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to regional and national: Spend more time talking to and listening to lower level team members as those at headquarters are in a bubble and don't really know what is happening at stores and facilities. Reduce time spent on paperwork and in meetings. Pay people better as there are plenty of profits there to do so. Don't give jerks the keys to your stores. Read Glassdoor!
Advice to store/facility leadership: stop playing favorites and promoting based on butt-kissing rather than ability, stop being moody and be more consistent, don't let customers steamroll over your team members, pay your people better, understand that your priorities and your team leaders priorities may not always be the same. Read Glassdoor!

Feels like home.

Floral Team Member (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Very Family Orientated. From STL's down to ATL's management is great. They understand that things happen in our personal lives and strive to help us… Cons: Some customers can be difficult in the area we work. Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

One of the better retail locations

Team Member (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: 20% discount Decent benefits Paid time off Opportunities to move up or transfer… Cons: Attendance policy is a little weird. Won't forgive call outs… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Whole Foods Market.

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!