Whole Foods Market

www.wholefoodsmarket.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Great place to move up fast

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in New York, NY
Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

decent base pay, employee satisfaction is big, lots of places to work

Cons

wont work with full time schedule

should work with all schedules no one can survive on base pay

1767 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

a culture of passionate people working towards a healthier community

Current Employee - Supplement Buyer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Supplement Buyer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

educating customers on positive lifestyle choices

Cons

catering to entitled "guests" can be exhausting

STL could be more "approachable" on a team member level; you get more (productivity) with kindness

mediocre

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were (mostly) awesome and fun to work with. Decent pay for the job I did, good perks like paid time off, disability leave, health insurance, a somewhat flexible schedule, and a store discount. Despite my many qualms with the place as an employer, I still shop there, and would recommend working there as long as you're not under some delusion that the values that come along with shopping at Whole Foods are the same as those of working at Whole foods. In other words: this is a great place to work, just don't go in there expecting it to be any different than working at another grocery store.

Cons

Bottom line: despite the vibe this company tries to put off, they are still a corporation, and more importantly they are still a GROCERY STORE. Despite what many people in leadership seem to believe, you aren't working at a local food co-op, a small speciality market, or a gourmet restaurant, you are working at a corporate, chain, grocery store when you work for Whole Foods. Sadly, as far as being an employee is concerned, many of their practices are no better than Kroger or any other large chain. You could also get many of the same benefits at other grocers without being forced to subscribe to whole foods' corporate brain-washing mumbo jumbo, which is far more complicated than "eat healthy, eat natural, buy local".
    At the store I worked at it seemed that coming to work, working hard, and doing your job wasn't enough to keep you employed or allow you to move up. If you didn't kiss your store leader's and team leader's ass, and play along with the store's stupid political games you would lose hours, be unable to advance, or worse, be fired.
    Probably the most annoying part about working here was how, even after being hired, the store tried to brainwash it's team members into believing that Whole Foods promotes "team member happiness", they even encouraged us to speak out if we were unsatisfied or wanted to see changes. Unfortunately, because of Whole Foods' corporate nature, they were unable to do a lot about formal complaints, and more times than not people who filed them (however innocently) would end up being treated poorly and sometimes terminated for "other reasons". Despite the fact that I was a star employee, who did move up, I didn't feel safe working there and didn't feel that I had the job security I deserved; because, after all, I was just another employee to them who, depending on the leadership at the time, was apt to disappoint someone by not kissing their ass.
    It was because of all this that I quit after two years to go work in a more satisfying and rewarding job.
    That being said, despite it's drawbacks, I WOULD go back to work at Whole Foods if I ever needed to.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market