Whole Foods Market
3.6 of 5 1,267 reviews
www.wholefoodsmarket.com Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

Good pay, horrible medical, and worst working experience ever.

Customer Service Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee)
West Hartford, CT

ProsThe hourly pay for asst team leaders and team leaders, is much higher than most retail jobs in the area. The dress code, is great, very little wasn't allowed. The discount was nice when it came to buying your weekly groceries.

ConsIt seems like every day was exactly the same. I worked awful hours, it seemed like I never had time to spend with my family or friends. When you work 12-8:30 everyday, you have no time for yourself. They trained you to do the job for the first month, then just expect you to read minds there after. The medical benefits are awful. Yes, after 800 service hours the company pays for it- but you have a $1300 delectable, and no co pay- and pay a lot out of pocket. You could request time off for a vacation or like me your honeymoon, and not get it- because something came up or staffing was too short. There is no communication between manager that are actually on the floor and the managers who sit in their offices. If someone is very sick and at work because they don't want to miss the time, they send them home and count them as absent, the same goes for being in the hospital.

I have heard that some stores are great to work for, but in my experience at my old store it was nothing less then a nightmare. I truly liked 95% of the people I worked with and it killed me to hear upper management always trash people then be nice to their face.

Also, the company claims to be all about the environment, and the care of animals- but they only tell the press and customers what they want them to hear. For example, whole foods has vegetarian feed, cage free eggs- and tell customers that the chickens are able to run freely on farms, when in fact they are confided to a barn. Hundreds of them. Not really too far for the chickens- or the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the blinders off, stop always agreeing with certain managers and not others. Take the time to get to know the team members instead of just hear say. People are very cut throat to make more money and are willing to stab people in the back, and say whatever to get there. So stop listening to the rumors yourself, and get on the sales floor and see for yourself.

Also, if you are all about how John Mackey does things, why don't store manager actually do it instead of just talking about it. Lead by example, you can't hold some team members accountable but not others. That isn't how John Mackey would want things.

A disappointing experience at Whole Foods

Marketing Team Leader (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros: High profile company, great products, very eclectic employee population, some… Cons: Very high pressure environment with unfriendly competition between departments. The company does not follow it's stated mission on many levels. Very unclear… Advice to Senior Management: It is not in the companies best interest to promote team members to management level positions for any… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Worst Company I Have Worked For

Produce Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros: Nice discount, nice comradely between department team members Cons: Terrible benefits, terrible management (upper and lower), low pay,… Advice to Senior Management: Appreciate your staff more, you have hard working employees and they… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Whole Foods Market.

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!

Whole Foods Market – Why Work for Us?

​​Our Motto Our motto — Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet — emphasizes that our vision reaches beyond food retailing. In fact, our deepest purpose as an organization is helping support the health, well-being, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whole Foods Market reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Whole Foods Market CEO John Mackey and Walter Robb. All reviews posted anonymously by Whole Foods Market employees.