There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Working in Corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

Wonderful and supportive team members. Great Insurance. Casual work environment. Many learning opportunities.

Cons

No paid holidays. Creativity was pushed yet always looked over by team leaders. Salary did not compensate for the work load put upon corporate team members.

Wonderful company that is growing fast being so the amount of employees providing company wide support in corporate offices needs to increase as well.

1436 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Great place to work IF you work in the retail grocery industry.

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

20% discount or more, optional participation in health screening could get you a higher discount. Discount also applies to sale items and vendor coupons, so pile on the savings.

Transfer between departments, between stores, between regions if you're an employee in good standing. Just remember, it's not your right, the new team or store has to want you.

Learn about and sell high quality products.

Good wages and benefits for the industry.

Work for a company that throws a chunk of resources and money to charity.

Lax dress code, no drug screening

Good opprotunity for advancement. As with the transfers, moving up is not your right, you have to make yourself desirable with things like a strong work ethic, taking initiative to learn and develope, stay out of drama, and be motivated toward the big picture of the success of the business.

Depending on your store and region you might get a day here and there where you get free lunch, a T-shirt/travel mug, 15 min chair massages, double discount day, a BBQ at a park, team building community service

Cons

This is grocery retail, which = working early, late, weekends, and the schedule changes and isn't posted very far ahead. You have to punch that clock and be on time, there's no flexibility there. You'll be on your feet all day and expected to be productive at a consistent rate. You'll have difficult customers. You'll have shifts where people called out and you've got to still keep the department going. When the rest of the world is taking time off for the holidays you will be working harder than ever. Everyone will feel consistent pressure to be increasingly productive and make better sales, same as any retailer.

There are regular all store meetings that are mandatory and take place in the one to two hours before the store opens or after it closes, which is very late or early. Every team member reguardless of their normal shift must be there and there is about ten minutes of solid information with 90 minutes of pep-ralley.

This is a mid-size publically traded company who needs to show a consistent and increasing profit. A lot of employees complaints seem to be losing sight of that, but I think it is WFM's fault for the most part. Their push to be such a great place to work, and a place where every opinion matters seems to have employees thinking they will follow through on every piece of feedback with no consideration of that big picture.
    I've seen so many team members outraged that their complaint about thier team leader didn't result in that team leader getting fired, or outraged that they're stuck making yet another batch of potato salad despite their idea for this new vegan gluten free raw recipe that they'd dreamed up and would rather be working on.
    Conversations are had about those ideas and complaints, but if that TL isn't being complained about for that reason somewhat consistently (and if they are, they are given a chance to improve), or that idea is too niche specific to drive real sales volume, then it's not going to happen.
    Sure making potato salad day after day is boring, but it's what sells. I'm always curious what job these employees used to have where they worked on whatever they felt like. I'm sure working at some little independent cafe is fantastic in that way, but did you have health insurance there? How was that paycheck looking? Everything is a trade off.
    I do feel that this disgruntlement is Whole Food's fault for not being more clear with employees on how the call for ideas meshes with maintaining a successful business. The lack of outrage by employees at Kroeger that their great ideas were never realized is likely because nobody there ever told them they should have ideas in the first place. They were probably told they needed to show up on time and make potato salad every day.
    I don't think they should stop gathering employee feedback by any means, just be more clear that the first priority is business basics and after that a few of the thousands of ideas will be implimented.

Nothing further, I've said it all.

Not a good place to work

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Twenty percent discount, benefits are fair

Cons

bad management, very corporate, expectations are extremely high

I expected so much more when I started working for whole foods.
    At orientation we were told it would be fun, up beat, we would be a family, a team. They basically made us believe we would love our job. Sadly it's the exact opposite. New team members are treated like the red headed step children. We have no guidance and are expected to learn and pick up everything on our own. You can do 100 things right and never hear anything positive, but make a mistake and you are called out on it and most times it's in front of other team members. Management sits out back all day on computers, laughing, eating and having a grand old time while the team members bust their butts to get the work done that they expect.
    Whole foods does pay more than most grocery stores, but it's not enough for the work we do. Whole foods is a very stressful place to work! They are not flexible with the schedule even if you ask for a day off weeks in advance. I never ask for certain days off unless I really need it, even then it's not guaranteed. So if a team member has a funeral, a doctor's appointment, a birth etc.. Expect to work as always.

I get anxiety every time I pull into the parking lot. I feel like while I'm walking in I'm going to get reprimanded for something. It's not a good feeling. Other team members don't give you the time of day. They walk past you and never say hello. The departments are run like mini boot camps. Your every move is observed, you have eyes on you at all times. Upper management like the store team leader is nice I guess but the department team leaders I've encountered are all about working you like a dog while they are off doing God knows what. They come to work and you don't see them for hours on end.
    If you don't fake smile all the time and act happy even if you are not you are pulled into management's office and told to look happier. Hasn't happened to me personally but a guy I work with was told this 6 months ago. Can't believe that!

I'm upset because I expected more. Whole foods is very corporate. The department I'm in is understaffed and team members are expected to do the job that normally takes two people to complete.
    Don't get me wrong. I met some great people but not many. The customers for the most part are pleasant which surprises me. I expected a lot more snobby people, but the shoppers are very nice. Maybe because I'm nice so they treat me nicely in return.

Whole foods asks you to take pictures so they can post them on facebook. Most times the pictures they asking you to take are with people you don't know. They then post them and kind of deceive people into thinking everyone is having such a good time at work.

Maybe it's the store I'm in because I have heard other positive stories of team members who love their jobs. I think when the time is appropriate I will see what another store has to offer.

I'm very sadly writing this review. It was a huge let down signing on to work for this company. Expectations were high..

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!