There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Great part-time job!

Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in North Wales, PA
Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in North Wales, PA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

decent pay, store discount, benefits seem good (I'm part-time and don't need the benefits), profit sharing (if the store does good and is under budget, everyone receives some of the profits), environmentally conscious, sustainability effort, helpfulness of everyone that works there.

Cons

I haven't been working at Whole Foods for very long, so I haven't really seen any downsides. So far it seems like a very good part-time job for me.

At my store the upper management seem really friendly and down to earth. I like their open door policy on any issue that bothers you.

1522 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Decent place to work...For a retail grocer!

Former Employee - Specialty/Wine Team Member in Willowbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Specialty/Wine Team Member in Willowbrook, IL

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

It's all about the people you work with. I still stay in contact with my former leaders and team members. Clean, upbeat environment. Learned A LOT about the products I was selling. Flexible hours, decent benefits, ok pay for a retail grocery job. Policies are clearly defined.

Cons

Retail hours and pay aren't the best in the World. Your chance to move up in the company will depend more on whether you are liked than how well your performance is. Customers can be VERY demanding and eccentric. The company almost always sides with a customer over the employee.

Listen more to your team leaders and assistant team leaders. Quit worrying so much when regional is coming to your store.

A complex Work Environment

Former Employee - Marketing Team Leader in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Team Leader in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Whole Foods Market stands for some really great principles. From top to bottom, everyone really does seem to care about the things the company claims to care about: The environment, animal compassion, fighting poverty, high quality natural and organic foods. If you care about these things, you would fit right in here.

Also, there's a great deal of freedom to speak your mind, openly. You can and should speak up in order to be heard at Whole Foods.

Cons

The deconcentrated leadership structure puts Store Team Leaders in a spot of incredible power without an appropriate level of accountability. This means that if you get stuck with a bad STL, you're out of luck.

The pay for responsibilities isn't really comparable to other companies. Responsibilities often saved for director level leadership is often delegated among everyone, so you often outperform your pay.

The open bandwidth of constant communication makes for constant misunderstandings between multiple levels of leadership. I could never get all my bosses to agree on what I should be doing.

Take a strong look at the environment your STLs are really creating for your team members. STLs often compartmentalize TM happiness&excellence and Increasing wealth through profits and growth, leaving TMs with disingenuous feelings from managers. Sure there's a TM BBQ, but five minutes later the STL is on top of you about performance. It's sort of schizophrenic. Marry those core values better.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market