No company is a utopia

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

Was a really fun company. Every quarter, we celebrated birthdays and work anniversaries. We had an annual team member appreciation week where one of my favorite things was that you could sign up for free chair massages. The dress code was super-casual (shorts and flip-flops). Some of the long-timers kept up with the tradition of verbally expressing appreciations to other team members when appropriate (e.g., during meetings). A bonus of working at the corporate office is that you work above the flagship WFM store in Austin. I felt like we really walked the talk when it came to being environmentally-friendly. It was by far the most recycling-conscious office I've ever worked in; we had compost bins, too. I had work-life balance for the first time in my career (but not everyone did). My annual raises were better than I expected, especially since it was clear from the beginning that my salary was not going to be the most competitive, given the thin margins in the retail industry. Work hours were flexible; managers didn't seem to be clock-watchers. Medical insurance was inexpensive. Job candidates were interviewed by a panel; I was glad to have input when we were hiring for my new team lead.

Cons

There were no paid holidays, even for salaried employees; if I didn't work on Christmas Day, I didn't get paid unless I deducted time from my bank of PTO (paid time off) hours. The amount of PTO that you get doesn't make up for the no paid holidays policy. The 401k match is negligible. The policies and processes weren't always in place for a company of that size; because of the company's rapid growth, in some ways it still acts like a smaller company but in a large company's body.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good company to work for that stands by its core values.

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, awesome discount, a bunch of team member perks, including benefits for part-time team members.

Cons

It depends on the store, team (department), etc., but from my experience, team leaders pick favorites and focus on training and developing them, despite the fact that all team members are capable and have great things to bring to the table.

Advice to Management

Provide team leaders, supervisors, etc. with some management training programs. Simply because an individual has been with the company for some time and may have great skills that apply to their teams, they do not know how to manage people.

Easy to get stuck in a rut

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cheap healthcare and discounts on groceries

Cons

Advancement is based more on personaltiy of whom you work for and less about what you do. A bad boss can hold you back