Decent place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Cashier in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

-Great benefits
-Co-workers are like family
-Best pay among competitors
-Flexible scheduling (will work with school, personal life)
-Constant education to ensure good product knowledge
-Raises every 6 months
-Paid sick leave/vacation time
-Passive sales goals
-Company funded team parties
-Dress code resembles that of high school meaning wearing what you want pretty much as long as it is not overly provocative or offensive, although you are required to wear an apron as expected
-At the end of the night we were aloud two pints of leftover deli food for a quarter per container as well as sushi, day old bread, and bakery treats
-Employee votes held regarding promotions and adding team members full-time (although this is a bit of an illusion because the peer reviews aren't really considered much in promotions)

Cons

-political favoritism: friends of managers usually received promotions over hard working employees with excellent professionalism, despite poor work ethic
and apathetic tendencies towards customers
-It is very corporate meaning employee evaluations were rarely accurate and very black and white
-Raises were generally decided based on personal feelings rather than actual work ethic
- It is "clicky", if you want any chance of making it, you better be down for some bar hopping 3-4 days a week with co-workers
-Customers are finicky about everything imaginable including high prices, how you bag their items, and how fast you are working
-Supervisors don't really supervise and work load can be unbalanced because of this

Advice to Management

The only real issue I had while working here was the blatant favoritism going on regarding raises and promotions. Bring back reward programs like "high fives" for exceptional work performance. The advent of a "lead bagger/csc" position would be extremely beneficial for the adherence of csc performance. This position was brought to our store, and it was highly successful.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun and interesting

Current Employee - Specialty Team Member in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Specialty Team Member in Houston, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Easy going your are trained very well in the department your placed and get to try a lot of things dealing with what your department sells.

Cons

There seems to be a big turnover rate so don't be late to work. And I feel like if ur not a specialist or above yOu seem not to get that much say as everyone else.

Advice to Management

That they need to go back to there roots and listen to their coworkers and their opinions we all should have more of a saw where the company is going.

A workplace for brown nosers and the uneducated

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Good benefits and good PTO after a year

Cons

Whole Foods is full of butt kissers. The company will pretty much do anything to keep a customer happy, even if it means disrespecting you (the employee) right in front of them. I had managers who would present the team with a new procedure and then when we as cashiers would impliment it in the store and the customers would get all pissy, management would take their sides and tell us we were wrong. There was absolutely no loyalty to team members. The customer always comes first, regardless of how absurd or ridiculous their demands were. And one of Whole Foods "Core Values" is Team Member Happiness. ???

Managament almost completely (95%) consisted of uneducated 30 somethings. This means that they have no regard for people either in school getting a degree or those who already have one. Raises, discipline, schedules, promotions were all given based 100% on favortism.

Whole foods is a company full of smaller cliques. if you don't "drink the coolaid" and conform to the "whole food way of life" you might as well start looking for another job. For a company that claims to treat everyone with respect regardless of their nutritional needs, how many tatoos/ peircings they sport, they should look enternally as well at their employees and treat us with the same respect.

Advice to Management

Learn that there are more important things than a repeat customer. Just because a customer throws a fit, doesn't mean that they are right. There are some instances in which you shouldn't even want repeat business from customers who would treat one of your employees with such little respect. And showing such respect to your employees in these instances would set the standard for your customers. Throwing team members under the bus to save face in front of customer is wrong and disgraceful. Take responsibility for your policies and procedures. If you're brave enough to impliment them, be brave enough to enforce them when the time comes.