Whole Foods Market

Decent place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Cashier in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

-Great benefits
-Co-workers are like family
-Best pay among competitors
-Flexible scheduling (will work with school, personal life)
-Constant education to ensure good product knowledge
-Raises every 6 months
-Paid sick leave/vacation time
-Passive sales goals
-Company funded team parties
-Dress code resembles that of high school meaning wearing what you want pretty much as long as it is not overly provocative or offensive, although you are required to wear an apron as expected
-At the end of the night we were aloud two pints of leftover deli food for a quarter per container as well as sushi, day old bread, and bakery treats
-Employee votes held regarding promotions and adding team members full-time (although this is a bit of an illusion because the peer reviews aren't really considered much in promotions)

Cons

-political favoritism: friends of managers usually received promotions over hard working employees with excellent professionalism, despite poor work ethic
and apathetic tendencies towards customers
-It is very corporate meaning employee evaluations were rarely accurate and very black and white
-Raises were generally decided based on personal feelings rather than actual work ethic
- It is "clicky", if you want any chance of making it, you better be down for some bar hopping 3-4 days a week with co-workers
-Customers are finicky about everything imaginable including high prices, how you bag their items, and how fast you are working
-Supervisors don't really supervise and work load can be unbalanced because of this

The only real issue I had while working here was the blatant favoritism going on regarding raises and promotions. Bring back reward programs like "high fives" for exceptional work performance. The advent of a "lead bagger/csc" position would be extremely beneficial for the adherence of csc performance. This position was brought to our store, and it was highly successful.

1767 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Incompetence rules. Mgmt. lacks communication skills and are willing to turn gossip into a review.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

The products carried by WF are healthy and high quality. Storewide, the customer service is helpful.
    It's a fast paced environment with never a dull moment. Lot's to do. The mission statement is a great idea - but not one that has any reality. I always thought grocery store work would be respectful. I was so wrong. Mgmt talks a good talk but does not walk that talk. They have some awesome hard working smart employees and mgmt does not appreciate them. They are given little respect or acknowledgment of value. Whole Foods has gone corporate in the worst way. They have bought into the 'Human Capital' notion and are carrying the idea too far. They pay their employees survival wages ($11-$13), then force them to ask the customers for donations to help improve the poverty stricken in other countries. I support advocacy of helping others, but let's start at home with paying our own employees a decent wage, giving them a 40 hour work week, and respect. WF has figured out every way to take advantage of it's employee. 20% discount but most WF employees can not really afford to buy the groceries they stock and pack up for customers.

Cons

Working at WF is contingent on a voting system - less than 1/3 employees can vote against a new employee for really any reason-like I have an attitude so I don't like you. If you have an education, they are clearly threatened. If that happens, mgmt can cultivate reviews that are less than flattering. Most employees just quit. I've seen a few hardworking competent new bees asked to leave for interesting reasons when it really came down to the vote. Being invited to stay because someone thinks your cool rather than work hard is nuts. It's the most upside down place I've ever seen.

Policy dissuades employees from staying home when they are sick with a point docking system. So, in the winter everyone is constantly and seriously sick. Mgmt does not care.

Reviews are scathing and nonsensical. WF uses a policing approach so that at any given time they have a report ready to see employees out the door. Employees are afraid to stand up for one another because they feel threatened. There is a lot that goes on that is simply unbelievable. They promote incompetent supervisors. They're friends slack off while every body else makes up for it. It's a real hen pecking system with the rooster getting in their pecks too. You need to stay under the radar to work here and sometimes that is just tiring.

And then the really upside down thing is this store has some real thugs that mgmt protects. They disrespect team members, manipulate, and cause problems on a regular basis. Everyone would be happier without these people and maybe then, there would be less stress and we could keep some of the people who could make up a great team. The economy is tough right now, but companies should not disrespect their employees. One set of rules for everyone.

Begin with honesty. Train with honesty. Walk your talk. Your old boy management style will be the end of you. And really, you should be ashamed of yourselves. But then, you probably don't care.

Life changing

Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

I learn so much! When I started at Whole Foods, I'd never worked in a grocery store and knew very little about organics. I have absorbed so much information and I love being able to share that knowledge with other team members and customers. I love that Whole Foods has core values and that they make a fair attempt to support them every day.

Cons

I have heard from fellow employees that the Whole Foods Market mission is more actively supported and team member happiness is greater in other locations than our own.

I think that stronger, positive communication can always be improved upon.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market