Wikia

www.wikia.com
  www.wikia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wikia

Best employee I've worked for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

I have been working at Wikia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great, startup-like atmosphere
- challenging tasks
- developers have a lot of independence and power to make decissions

Cons

- a lot of projects are done in PHP, which is not the state of the art
- late working hours in European offices (HQ are in San Francisco)

18 Other Employee Reviews for Wikia (View Most Recent)

Great place to be!

Current Employee - Community Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wikia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Wikia. Strong leadership, strong CEO vision, fun culture, diverse people...it's great. Benefits and salary are solid, and the company has a real family feel to it, even though the company is growing by leaps and bounds. Great opportunities to learn, grow and advance. I trust my manager, and definitely respect senior leadership as well. Wikia has a huge community of active users and the company is very community-centric. Respectful, fun colleagues and very friendly people. Great place for someone looking to move up the ladder and learn more about different aspects of tech life. Dog friendly! Love the Wikia dogs!

Cons

Due to multiple locations and offices throughout the world, it can sometimes be a challenge to get a response to something right away, but this isn't the fault of the company; just part of being a global company.

Please keep encouraging open communication and trust. Would like to see the internal library of leadership books expanded and would like to see more discussion about those or do reading club?

Did a PR Firm Write Most of the Reviews?

I have been working at Wikia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wikia is definitely a decent place to work, but no place is perfect as some of the reviews seem to suggest about Wikia. However, I definitely would recommend working there. The CEO has a strong vision for the company and includes the entire company in quarterly meetings that brings the world offices together. It's not a long-term place to work for most positions but it's a great starting place or stepping stone. My experience with departments from community to product to sales to accounting were very positive. Free food, keg, company parties and flexibility make is competitive with other internet companies from an environment standpoint. Dog friendly office is a plus.

Cons

Not every person in every department treats everyone with respect. Some sales people and most of marketing just aren't nice.. They seem to hold themselves on a pedestal that isn't deserved.The dislike between top executives spills out to the entire office and it's incredibly unprofessional to witness it. The CEO needs to get that in check. HR cannot be trusted. Gossipy environment needs to be brought under control because it makes a mostly positive work experience negative. A lot of employee turnover recently.

Fix the bad situation with department heads. Work to keep good talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Wikia