Great experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Wikistrat as an intern

Pros

Worked on very cool simulations with the topic academic experts in the fields
Was able to publish my work through Wikistrat's extensive publication contact base

Cons

Very hard to get recognized and move up from the intern position
Compensation should be more defined and tangible

Advice to Management

Re-do the compensation strategy

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Ein echt globaler Think-Tank, eine epistemische Gemeinschaft vom Feinsten A true global think tank, epistemic community at its best

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Wikistrat part-time (More than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Wikistrat bietet die einmalige Gelegenheit, zu diskutieren und gemeinsam politische und geostrategische Analysen von aktuellen Krisen und wichtigen Entwicklungen mit Experten der verschiedenen Gebiete, Standorte und Dienstalter zu entwickeln. Es bietet ein Diskussionsforum und ermöglicht damit dem Nachwuchs, seine Analysen und Ideen in Diskussionen mit älteren Experten zu testen. Die Heterogenität der beruflichen Hintergründe der Teilnehmer ermöglicht gemeinsame Analysen, welche von der Vielfalt der Ideenansätze insofern profitieren, als sich durch den Anstieg der beteiligten Analysten die Wahrscheinlichkeit verringert, wichtige Aspekte zu vernachlässigen. Wikistrat ist ein Mittel für eine epistemische Gemeinschaft, in regelmäßigen Abständen zu interagieren (statt nur in Jahreskonferenzen zum Beispiel). Geldwerte Vorteile sind willkommener Nebeneffekt, aber nicht die Motivation, sich zu beteiligen. Es bietet ein einzigartiges Netzwerk von Experten weltweit und fördert Wissensaustausch unter den Teilnehmern.

Wikistrat offers the unique opportunity to discuss and collaboratively develop political and geostrategic analyses of current crises and important developments with experts of various expertises, locations and seniority. It offers a discussion forum and thus enables young academics to test their analyses and ideas in discussions with more senior experts. The heterogenity of the participants professional backgrounds allow collaboratively reached analyses which benefit from the very idea of crowd sourced approaches insofar as the probability to neglect important aspects decreases by the increase of analysts involved. Wikistrat is a means for an epistemic community to interact on a regular basis (instead of only annual conferences for example). The monetary benefits are a welcome side-effect but not the motivation to join. It offers an unique network of experts worlwide and fosters knowledge-sharing among its participants.

Cons

Analysen müssen tiefgründig sein, bloße Ausdrücke der Meinungen von anderen Analysten werden nicht akzeptiert, die erfolgreiche und erfreuliche Beteiligung erfordert daher weitere Forschungsaktivitäten. Die Mitglieder dieses Think-Tanks befinden sich weltweit, in Zeiten erhöhter Aktivität (z. B. einer aufkeimenden Krise) können die wirklich 24-7-Entwicklungen daher sehr anspruchsvoll sein.

Analyses have to be profound, mere expressions of opinions are not accepted by other analysts, thus the successful and gratifyingly participation requires additional research activities. The members of this think tank are globally located, thus in times of heightened activity (e.g., an emerging crisis) the really 24-7 developments can be very demanding.

Advice to Management

Setzen Sie die gute Arbeit fort!

Keep up the good work!

2. Professionally Rewarding

Current Freelancer - Contributing Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Freelancer - Contributing Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wikistrat (More than a year)

Pros

I am a Contributing Analyst with Wikistrat. As a young professional, I joined Wikistrat as a way to challenge myself, develop professionally, and get an insider's view of how to approach complex issues. You will find yourself in the middle global conversations on current events at a level you normally wouldn't have access to. It is a unique and diverse population of analysts that have correspondingly diverse, insightful, and creative takes on world affairs.

One of the most important benefits for me has been learning how to give and receive feedback, feedback from very experienced and qualified people. As a young professional, that is huge. It can be humbling, but I view it as a significant benefit to being a Wikistrat analyst.

Being part of Wikistrat is also a great way to distinguish yourself. Work that I have contributed has been picked up by bloggers and news outlets, which in itself is exciting.

Cons

The drawbacks of participation in Wikistrat simulations, in my view, are primarily associated with the expectations you may have going into it. There are monetary awards and incentives that you may receive from time to time, but it is best to think of those as nice perks and not a primary motivation. My experience has been that I have participated in Wikistrat simulations for almost 3 years, submitting work when I have time–a leisurely level of effort. Even then, I've received financial remuneration twice, in addition to receiving media mentions from outlets who monitor Wikistrat simulations.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the continued effort in developing the platform and creating simulations that improve the quality of input. There has been a lot of progress in improving incentives, which goes a long way in preventing analyst fatigue.

It would be interesting to see what feedback the Wikistrat community might have in terms of building the simulation models themselves–that is to say the analytical framework that shapes the analysis.