There are newer employer reviews for Wiley

How the mighty have fallen.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wiley employs some great, talented people.

Cons

Once a great American company that treated its employees with respect, Wiley has become solely profit-oriented. This is largely because it was too slow to react to the changing realities of the publishing industry — ebooks, social media, etc. — and so now is making massive structural changes within the company. Because of these changes, the large number of layoffs and the quality people jumping ship... to say Wiley is currently in turmoil is not an understatement.

Other Employee Reviews for Wiley

No longer the place to be...

Former Employee - Editorial in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Editorial in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, hands down. Intelligent, hard-working, helpful. My first 10 years at Wiley were idyllic--but I know now that was largely due to the group I worked in and my manager. It was collaborative, fun, and everyone worked toward a common goal.

Cons

The "restructuring and reinvestment" means that many talented, experienced people are being laid off while more and more "director" positions are created. Large chunks of departments were simply deleted, leaving those employees remaining to hold up a staggeringly heavy load.

Advice to Management

Better communication about plans with employees--more specific and less business-speak. Also, treat employees being let go with more respect. Mention their actual names when announcing new structural changes, instead of leaving everyone to gossip and guess at who got let go this time.

Lukewarm experience

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malden, MA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malden, MA

I worked at Wiley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

All the managers I worked with were very nice. My manager was very understanding about my few sick days. There are some truly cool, kind people working there...Unfortunately none of them were in my department! Responsive and cool IT department. They didn't mind that I worked with headphones in.

Cons

Abysmal pay. I temped with Wiley for about six months, but was overlooked when my position became permanent and someone else was hired. Clique-ish environment, I was definitely treated like a temp by most people, and I got a very weird drinking-the-Kool-Aid corporate culture vibe from a lot of people. In a meeting once, senior management and some salespeople were laughing at the fact that people wouldn't want their privacy invaded by aggressive salespeople. Lots of ridiculous useless meetings where my presence was genuinely not required. Not a great location; I was living in Cambridge at the time and the orange line commute took almost an hour. This didn't directly effect me since I wasn't a permanent employee, but this still bothered me: They'll pay 100% of people's parking per month (For the adjacent parking garage), but only a small portion of people's subway passes. Parking passes are WAY more expensive than subway passes, so this seemed odd to me. Their database and sales entry systems are INCREDIBLY bad. Their systems are so clogged up with duplicates and goofy requirements that it was very frustrating to do almost anything.

Advice to Management

Pay your temps a little more generously, please. Even an extra dollar an hour can make a big difference. Fewer meetings, and really think about who needs to be there.