Lukewarm experience

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malden, MA
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malden, MA

I worked at Wiley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

All the managers I worked with were very nice.

My manager was very understanding about my few sick days.

There are some truly cool, kind people working there...Unfortunately none of them were in my department!

Responsive and cool IT department.

They didn't mind that I worked with headphones in.

Cons

Abysmal pay.

I temped with Wiley for about six months, but was overlooked when my position became permanent and someone else was hired.

Clique-ish environment, I was definitely treated like a temp by most people, and I got a very weird drinking-the-Kool-Aid corporate culture vibe from a lot of people. In a meeting once, senior management and some salespeople were laughing at the fact that people wouldn't want their privacy invaded by aggressive salespeople.

Lots of ridiculous useless meetings where my presence was genuinely not required.

Not a great location; I was living in Cambridge at the time and the orange line commute took almost an hour.

This didn't directly effect me since I wasn't a permanent employee, but this still bothered me: They'll pay 100% of people's parking per month (For the adjacent parking garage), but only a small portion of people's subway passes. Parking passes are WAY more expensive than subway passes, so this seemed odd to me.

Their database and sales entry systems are INCREDIBLY bad. Their systems are so clogged up with duplicates and goofy requirements that it was very frustrating to do almost anything.

Advice to Management

Pay your temps a little more generously, please. Even an extra dollar an hour can make a big difference. Fewer meetings, and really think about who needs to be there.

reviews filtered by

Turbulence ahead

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance is good
    location is great
    cafeteria on site
    content sold is valued
    global scope

Cons

top heavy
    decision by committee
    paralyzed
    procedures

Restructuring

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, the employees are intelligent, hardworking, committed, and collegial.

Cons

The restructure has resulted in many layoffs and extremely low morale. The company's corporate culture has dramatically changed (for the worse).

Advice to Management

Long term success will not prevail if management continues to show such little regard for the company's human resources. Many talented employees were let go or quit in order to pursue better opportunities elsewhere.