There are newer employer reviews for Williams

If you have to live in Tulsa its the best pay, but not the best place.

Former Employee - Director Business Development in Tulsa, OK
Former Employee - Director Business Development in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Williams

Pros

Best pay you can find in Tulsa compared to other places.

Cons

The good old boy network is alive and well here. Various cliques exist that only promote people in the areas for reasons besides the abilities. One group was known as the mormon mafia, if you weren't a mormon you wouldn't be accepted in the group. Another was headed by a woman that only hired women. Still another was based solely on being male. If you could get into one of the cliques then it wouldn't matter how good or bad you were you would be promoted and moved on up without question.

Advice to Management

Resign. The senior management is as bad now as it was when they were a whisker away from going out of business. They only survived because of dumb luck investing in E&P in the Rockies. And they only kept that business because when they were doing a fire sale to raise money no one wanted to buy it. In all the management is not going to grow the company just manage what they have.

reviews filtered by

Love working for Williams

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams

Pros

Our company is growing, which is much more fun than the downside we endured a few years back. Employees typically have a short commute to work (5-20 minutes) from anywhere in/around Tulsa and parking is a breeze. We have an on-site fitness center and cafeteria. Williams offers a strong 401(k) match AND a pension plan. We also have an employee stock purchase plan. Overall, our benefits are great and easy to use.

Cons

There's a perception in some areas of a good-ol'-boy network. I view our young management as both good (fresh ideas) and bad (upward movement may be stunted for some).

Advice to Management

Communicate with us either face-to-face or in a way that's not corporate-speak and sounds more like it was something you actually thought and wrote.

The truth, not just what you want to hear. Good & bad with every company.

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Williams

Pros

Lots of vacation, easy-going people, usually low stress, optional 9/80 schedule, flex-time.

Cons

People seem to be hired and promoted because of the wrong reasons. Females and minorities get preference as leaders. New hires and even interns seem to almost always be female, minority, or have some connection to a current employee. Management does not always seem to be on board with just hiring the best person for the job. Also, not a great educational reimbursement package compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Think outside of the box more. Instead of taking employee feedback and not even using it, consider some of their ideas occasionally. The mid-level managers and their employees do the grunt work everyday and are more in-tune with changes in the industry on a localized level.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams