Williams-Sonoma

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Wonderful, stimulating work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great people, quality products, beautiful office space, challeging work

Cons

Retail means hard work, especially during the holidays

Keep it up!!!

678 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

stiffled

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Allows you to use your love of cooking in a part time retail environment. Get exclusive previews of upcoming kitchen tools and appliances. Surrounded m=by mostly professionals who share the same interests, not teenager mall rats.

Cons

Some of the clientele can treat you like a minion. Long hours on weekends and holidays on your feet can be tiresome.

Let sales associates treat the customers well and go the extra mile for them. So often employees are told to do what is policy and you know that you have just lost a customer.

OK company, but there is much better for talent in the Bay Area

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great discount, good products, half day Fridays

Cons

Almost everyone is overstretched and underpaid. We're asked to make miracles happen with teams half the size of what is required. We're told to "innovate" and bring our company into the future, but there are barely enough people to handle "today".

Everyone works extremely hard without basic resources to get the job done. Old computers, broken printers, don't even ask me how to order supplies. I would bring supplies like paper clips and pens from home because I didn't know how to get them at work. It sounds small, but it's indicative of an overall unrealistic and unsupportive environment.

When it comes to valuing everyone's contribution, tenure overrules logic and progress every time. There are a number of people who have been at the company for quite some time, and in order to keep themselves relevant, they oppose change and innovation every chance they get. They'd rather keep things the same, to remain the experts, instead of taking a risk and pushing the company into the future. The only people who succeed are "yes men" who agree with the ridiculous direction these tenured executives make, which is usually the fastest and cheapest approach.

And speaking of risk taking, for a company with leadership that isn't perfect, there is zero tolerance for error. If the executives get any impression of you that's other than amazing, you're black listed and your career growth is done. I've heard insane stories of jet trips, when executives travel around and visit stores, that ended in the store manager never coming back to work. It wasn't that extreme at the corporate offices, but I'm sure glad I didn't work in a store.

I've seen so many people come and go including myself who have had so much to offer to Williams-Sonoma, but not only do they not recognize talent, but they don't know how to support this talent to move the company forward. There isn't much development aside from a few WSI University classes, and unless you get a direct supervisor really invested in your growth, you give everything you can, without getting much in return (aside from a paycheck).

In my time at Williams-Sonoma, I was asked for my "honest opinion" on what I would do to change things, and the feedback shared was passed along verbatim, I believe resulting in retaliation. I just don't understand how mature professionals would conduct themselves that way. I was not the only person this happened to, and it made working there extremely difficult until I left. I saw myraid people pushed out of the company after daring to speak out against popular opinion.

Also, there is a major lack of diversity in every way. The company is something like 80% women, and you can literally count the non-Caucasians in leadership one hand. It seems like everyone who is hired there is a clone.

Overall, there are so many forward thinking, profitable, exciting companies to work in the Bay Area, this place was just an "ok" place to work. I didn't fully realize it until I was on the outside.

Support innovation by encouraging risk taking and tolerating mistakes
    Diversify your workforce and work on keeping forward thinking employees engaged
    Teach your executives how to value and support employees
    Invest in technology and bring in new leadership from tech
    Staff up so employees can become experts at what they do instead of just staying above water

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma