Great people to work with, but corporate management needs to step up

Current Employee - Sales/Culinary Expert  in  Bridgewater, NJ
Current Employee - Sales/Culinary Expert in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

The team at our store is great, most employees are dedicated to helping customers and have been with WS for several years. The discount is very good, and contests usually come through with some nice prizes. I am able to share my cooking experience with the customers, and other employees. For a part time job it is convenient for where I live.

Cons

Under staffing due to budget constraints has put a horrible strain on the ability to provide the service that the company still insists on providing. Cutting hours over the last year or so has created a negative impact on employees, as well as expecting part timers (which is most of the foot soldiers on the floor) to "embrace" the challenges of working less and being expected to know more and perform more tasks. Store managers end up working more hours than on the schedule (and that applies to EVERY store don't let anyone tell you otherwise) in order to meet the demands of floor changes, paperwork and creative ways to promote the store with a skeleton crew.

As suggested by a previous reviewer, WS Corporate should read the article in The New Yorker; it pretty much sums up what we aren't doing, and how it affects our business; not enough staff with knowledge of where the stock is, and customers walk out. And that goes for the product as well-our shortage grows when no one is able to keep an eye on the shop. Going through with the employee survey that was cancelled last year due to no money would be a good idea (maybe nix a couple of those bonuses the exec's are getting). Last, updating our computer system so that stock tracking, product information, and sharing information is easier and more intuitive, as well as getting our schedules on line (if the pizzeria in town can trust high school kids to check their schedule on line, what about us?!.......)

Other Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

a stressful experience

Current Employee - Casual Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Casual Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Part time can schedule off when have appointments. Upscale clients.

Cons

Company policy of customer service not realistic with store operations. Not enough payroll to run store properly. Stock rooms unsafe and associates have to climb over boxes and high on ladders to get heavy merchandise. Customers dis-satisfied with the time it takes associates to search for merchandise. Then when store is out of item, they usually don't want to take time to order, they can do it much faster themselves.

Going in the wrong direction with trying to get emails and sell credit cards instead of customer service. Very outdated computer system. Customers pull up items, do comparisons on I-phones and can order on line faster than we an.

A great place for many years, but the last 4 years have been terrible.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great discount, diverse staff (at most locations), opportunities to win prizes, never a dull moment, highly likely that you will build strong relationships with coworkers due to the need to bond through very stressful times

Cons

Workload is 80 hours a week for a GM. Expected to work 50-60. No way to get everything done. You never feel successful. Corporate's desperate attempts to keep up with modern technology and grow a younger customer base are strange monthly ploys that are attempted for a week and then forgotten. Threats are made regarding getting more credit cards opened and begging customers for their email addresses. Most of the District Managers, Regional Managers and further ups are not performing to the spirit of Chuck Williams and Howard Lester's vision. Payroll cutting is the ONLY focus.

Remember that employee survey that you planned on doing last year and then cancelled it because it would cost too much payroll? You should do it. Also, read the recent articles published about Uniqlo and Apple and how adding payroll has increased their sales. Also, run a report on how many employees have left in the past 12 months. Morale is beyond bad and your numbers in same store WS stores is awful.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!