There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Great company. No succession planning. Terrible training programs.

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Strong financial performance, and job stability. Good company discount.

Cons

Poor training and development. HR is like the mafia. They make, change, and enforce rules with huge levels of subjectivity, and hire individuals based on relationships and affiliations moreso than proven skill, experience, education, and ROI. History has shown that these practices have backfired in many instances, in which they ended up eliminating roles or layers to right the ship.

Advice to Management

Provide individuals with a clear succession plan. Offer relevant, high-level training to your managers and associates. Identify and develop your talent. Hire executives and senior managers who. An not only run the business, but both lead and mentor effectively. Monitor HR and ensure that they are both creating and executing rules and policy in a fair and unbiased manner. Take a real interest in your associates and their work-life balance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Typical Retail Situation

Current Employee - Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

beautiful place to work, decent discount. But underpaid for overwhelming workload - constantly looking for motivated staff but lack of hours available to part time staff causes retention issues. The problems with this company are similar to other retail companies.

Cons

need to upgrade pay plan. need to retain talent.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff on the frontlines for ideas about employment situation and for a better idea of what customers really want. Recently upper mgmt asking what we need. It remains to be seen if they act on suggestions

It's all smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Various Positions in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Various Positions in New York, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was lucky enough to become good friends with a few of my fellow co workers.

Cons

Where do I begin? There was favoritism from management, if they don't like you, they will make your day a living hell. I started out as management and demoted myself because of how immature and mean management was. They made the employees do all the work while they sat in the office, and then took all the credit when corporate called or came to the store. I also feel that overall, Williams Sonoma doesn't care about how they treat their employees. They put SO much pressure on the management, and then they put unrealistic expectations onto the employees. That has happened to me and when I couldn't meet their extreme expectations, I got written up. That company laid off about 14% of the company back in 2008, in my store it was all the full time employees on the floor, not counting management. But Corporate still had their company jets to fly around the country to go to various stores to "work". At the end of their trip, they would shop around the store with multiple carts at the register!! But the end of my employment, I knew how to do everything in the store, even the manager functions (because management didn't want to do their jobs).

Advice to Management

You need to start respecting the people who do ALL the work. And give actual raises! I busted my ass in that store and then I get a 10 cent raise once a year? Some employees were flat out denied because they made too much. You should have sold those dumb corporate jets instead of firing alot of the employees that were loyal to your company for years. You need to be customer oriented, not money oriented.