Williams-Sonoma

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Demise Of Store Culture

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

40% discount (sometimes) at WS and affiliates
Learning about latest and greatest culinary tools
Company stands behind its products, will replace defective items
Store design is visually appealing

Cons

Disrespectful of employees by not posting schedule until 1 week ahead
Corporate has no consideration of hard-working employees, from management to associates on the floor
Consistently understaffed
Computer systems are antiquated, inventory control is a joke
Cash registers malfunction every week
Prices at rival stores are 10-20% lower, and free shipping on their website hurts brick and mortar
Management changes shift assignments with short notice
When regional management visits, they don’t get a true experience of the sales floor
Due to back room/stock people cutbacks, have to climb 12-foot ladders, putting associates at physical risk
On-call system is unethical (not paid, don’t know if you’re going to be working until 1 hour before shift)
Dropped associate discount to 20% on some items
Competition for sales quotas is not about valuing the customer – it has created a stressful sales floor with distrust among employees. We used to proudly say to our “guests” that we were not on commission and that w worked as a team to offer the best customer service

Update computer systems
Have regional management work a complete shift with no stock person or gift wrapper and just 1 other staff (which is common for many shifts each week)
Make the employees schedule available online so they don’t have to call the store and request a manager to read it over the phone
Increase stock distribution

656 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

Pricing System WAY TOO Confusing For Customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with.

Cons

Even with a 40% employee discount, product is still more expensive than comparable products at competing retailers.

Prices on the website are completely different that prices in the store. Customers constantly complain about this and insist that we match prices. We try to explain that catalog/internet charges a "surcharge" for everything, and that the prices will come out about the same, which just annoys them even more. So, ultimately, we end up matching the price in the catalog. Several regulars have caught on to this little trick and insist on price matching on EVERYTHING with no surcharge. They say "if it's the advertised price, you should honor it". They're right. So, the company loses money.

Return policies are a complete joke. Even though the receipt clearly says 30 day return policy and no return on products that end in $XX.X7, customers know that we are not allowed to say no. I've seen returns on products as old as 7 years!! Its very easy to take advantage of Pottery Barn.

The computer/register systems are OOOOOOOLLLLLLLD. Our registers freeze and need to be rebooted sometimes on a daily basis.

Work shifts are cut often, yet we are expected to meet and surpass last years numbers.

FIX THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

Consolidate and unify the ordering systems and prices. End the confusion.

Train your DM's on the art of POSITIVE re-enforcement.

If PB really has no concrete return policy, just do away with the charade altogether. It only stresses the associates out.

Horrible

Former Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, Great Company to work for, nice people

Cons

Unless you are full-time hours are minimal, you are over worked, they care more about the sales goal then the customers.

Your employees and customer's are what drives the business, actually listen to their input and make it a friendly work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma