Demise Of Store Culture

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

40% discount (sometimes) at WS and affiliates Learning about latest and greatest culinary tools Company stands behind its products, will replace defective items Store design is visually appealing

Cons

Disrespectful of employees by not posting schedule until 1 week ahead Corporate has no consideration of hard-working employees, from management to associates on the floor Consistently understaffed Computer systems are antiquated, inventory control is a joke Cash registers malfunction every week Prices at rival stores are 10-20% lower, and free shipping on their website hurts brick and mortar Management changes shift assignments with short notice When regional management visits, they don’t get a true experience of the sales floor Due to back room/stock people cutbacks, have to climb 12-foot ladders, putting associates at physical risk On-call system is unethical (not paid, don’t know if you’re going to be working until 1 hour before shift) Dropped associate discount to 20% on some items Competition for sales quotas is not about valuing the customer – it has created a stressful sales floor with distrust among employees. We used to proudly say to our “guests” that we were not on commission and that w worked as a team to offer the best customer service

Advice to Management

Update computer systems Have regional management work a complete shift with no stock person or gift wrapper and just 1 other staff (which is common for many shifts each week) Make the employees schedule available online so they don’t have to call the store and request a manager to read it over the phone Increase stock distribution

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Great learning environment for entry-level associate but don't hope for more.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers and Junior Management were a team of dedicated, goal-oriented and efficient workers who took the time to show me the ropes. We were all dedicated to the success of our small store in Brooklyn and as a result we achieved new records in performance and quality service.

Cons

Senior Management leveraged our skills and abilities to meet deadlines and impress superiors. Corporate and Senior Management made empty promises and ineffective policies for store-level associates. There was a felt dissonance between store-level and corporate priorities.

Advice to Management

Please honor your employees by investing in their career development. Allow them the opportunity to grow and aid in their vertical movement within your company. Don't forget about the hungry, qualified, seasoned professionals in your stores just to satisfy the bottom line.

Pricing System WAY TOO Confusing For Customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with.

Cons

Even with a 40% employee discount, product is still more expensive than comparable products at competing retailers. Prices on the website are completely different that prices in the store. Customers constantly complain about this and insist that we match prices. We try to explain that catalog/internet charges a "surcharge" for everything, and that the prices will come out about the same, which just annoys them even more. So, ultimately, we end up matching the price in the catalog. Several regulars have caught on to this little trick and insist on price matching on EVERYTHING with no surcharge. They say "if it's the advertised price, you should honor it". They're right. So, the company loses money. Return policies are a complete joke. Even though the receipt clearly says 30 day return policy and no return on products that end in $XX.X7, customers know that we are not allowed to say no. I've seen returns on products as old as 7 years!! Its very easy to take advantage of Pottery Barn. The computer/register systems are OOOOOOOLLLLLLLD. Our registers freeze and need to be rebooted sometimes on a daily basis. Work shifts are cut often, yet we are expected to meet and surpass last years numbers.

Advice to Management

FIX THE COMPUTER SYSTEM. Consolidate and unify the ordering systems and prices. End the confusion. Train your DM's on the art of POSITIVE re-enforcement. If PB really has no concrete return policy, just do away with the charade altogether. It only stresses the associates out.