Not so people first anymore

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the job I do, but not who I work for.

Cons

Comapny has changed drastically over the past few years. Good is never good enough. Great isn't even great enough. They ask for associate opinions, but do nothing about them. Don't even share results. Open on Easter Sunday? Even customers thought that was insane. Now to be open on Thanksgiving day? What's next--Christmas? Open 24/7? Come on. This company used to say they were all about their people. They are not who they say they are.

Listen to what your managers stated in the associate opinion survey. You will lose tenured, respected, talented managers if you continue to want more and more and more. What holiday will you be working? None. You will be with your family and friends, cooking and relaxing--checking your phone for the 12 o'clock read. Howard is probably rolling over in his grave as to what has become of his beloved company. Get back to the basics. People. Service. Standards. Cut out all the excess things that you are making us do. Get back to quality products and happy staffs.

Other Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Store Systems needs to improve and acknowledge employees

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst III  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people, nice retail experience, good location, shuttile pickup from Bart and Cal Train

Cons

People leave left and right.. Promotions are based on years of experience and projects worked on last year rather than how you performed. Under performers are in constant fear and were given unrealistic targets before sacking them on a friday eve. Still uses Windows XP, world around you is changing. E-com is not your only

WS is a great company with a great history and has a lot of value in the market. IT dept needs to focus on performers. People worked in the same technology for last 15 years cannot change overnight to a new one. It takes time and needs some time. Canteen needs some subsidized food.

Rapidly deteriorating

Former Employee - Control Buyer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent product and commitment to customer satisfaction.

Cons

Management merciless in trying to squeeze every last ounce of contribution from employees. The positive recognition that existed for the first 4 years of my tenure there was non-existent by the time I left. Work days were habitually 10 - 12 hours, even off season. The systems and reports that were in place were completely inadequate for the business model that the catalog began to use. Finally there was no recognition of the fact that the workload increased over 250% while I was employed there, but the headcount actually shrank by 15%: between my hiring and my leaving each of us was doing nearly three times the workload, with no additional compensation. There was no attempt by anyone above middle management to look at working conditions and no choice for middle management to make any change due to pressures from above to increase productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!