Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount Sample sales Discount Did I mention the Discount?

Cons

I am speaking only about the Williams-Sonoma brand, as that is where I worked. The company culture is toxic. People are terrified of the president, Richard Harvey. Managers roll over on their employees when problems come up. Women, especially those with children, will find it hard to promoted. People, especially coordinators and assistants, cry at their desks on a regular bases and managers gossip about them when it happens, laughing.

Advice to Management

Change your company culture from the top down. "People First Awards" mean nothing when your employees don't feel as if they are being put first.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great learning environment for entry-level associate but don't hope for more.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers and Junior Management were a team of dedicated, goal-oriented and efficient workers who took the time to show me the ropes. We were all dedicated to the success of our small store in Brooklyn and as a result we achieved new records in performance and quality service.

Cons

Senior Management leveraged our skills and abilities to meet deadlines and impress superiors. Corporate and Senior Management made empty promises and ineffective policies for store-level associates. There was a felt dissonance between store-level and corporate priorities.

Advice to Management

Please honor your employees by investing in their career development. Allow them the opportunity to grow and aid in their vertical movement within your company. Don't forget about the hungry, qualified, seasoned professionals in your stores just to satisfy the bottom line.

Handled uncertain times less than gracefully.

Former Employee - Pottery Barn in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Pottery Barn in Portland, OR

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and sweet people to work with. Discount on all brands. Pretty good medical and dental insurance.

Cons

Company was 'restructured' twice in the time I was there. People were let go or offered demotions. Labor was cut drastically. There were always competing priorities and unclear direction. Our 'focus' as a store was changed on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis. Speaking up or voicing concern was not welcomed and in some cases, led to termination.

Advice to Management

To upper management and the big wigs- quit it with the 'jet visits' where the store has to fluff up all labor and roll out the red carpet for you. Don't you want to see what stores look like on a daily basis? We don't wear suits and heels every day and waltz around a picture perfect store- that's all for show for you.