There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount
Sample sales
Discount
Did I mention the Discount?

Cons

I am speaking only about the Williams-Sonoma brand, as that is where I worked.
The company culture is toxic.
People are terrified of the president, Richard Harvey.
Managers roll over on their employees when problems come up.
Women, especially those with children, will find it hard to promoted.
People, especially coordinators and assistants, cry at their desks on a regular bases and managers gossip about them when it happens, laughing.

Change your company culture from the top down. "People First Awards" mean nothing when your employees don't feel as if they are being put first.

632 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

Great learning environment for entry-level associate but don't hope for more.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers and Junior Management were a team of dedicated, goal-oriented and efficient workers who took the time to show me the ropes. We were all dedicated to the success of our small store in Brooklyn and as a result we achieved new records in performance and quality service.

Cons

Senior Management leveraged our skills and abilities to meet deadlines and impress superiors.
    Corporate and Senior Management made empty promises and ineffective policies for store-level associates. There was a felt dissonance between store-level and corporate priorities.

Please honor your employees by investing in their career development. Allow them the opportunity to grow and aid in their vertical movement within your company. Don't forget about the hungry, qualified, seasoned professionals in your stores just to satisfy the bottom line.

Demise Of Store Culture

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

40% discount (sometimes) at WS and affiliates
    Learning about latest and greatest culinary tools
    Company stands behind its products, will replace defective items
    Store design is visually appealing

Cons

Disrespectful of employees by not posting schedule until 1 week ahead
    Corporate has no consideration of hard-working employees, from management to associates on the floor
    Consistently understaffed
    Computer systems are antiquated, inventory control is a joke
    Cash registers malfunction every week
    Prices at rival stores are 10-20% lower, and free shipping on their website hurts brick and mortar
    Management changes shift assignments with short notice
    When regional management visits, they don’t get a true experience of the sales floor
    Due to back room/stock people cutbacks, have to climb 12-foot ladders, putting associates at physical risk
    On-call system is unethical (not paid, don’t know if you’re going to be working until 1 hour before shift)
    Dropped associate discount to 20% on some items
    Competition for sales quotas is not about valuing the customer – it has created a stressful sales floor with distrust among employees. We used to proudly say to our “guests” that we were not on commission and that w worked as a team to offer the best customer service

Update computer systems
    Have regional management work a complete shift with no stock person or gift wrapper and just 1 other staff (which is common for many shifts each week)
    Make the employees schedule available online so they don’t have to call the store and request a manager to read it over the phone
    Increase stock distribution