There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Excellent company to work for. Benefits are great

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Hours, Health Insurance plan

Cons

Base Salary, Scheduling can be a bit difficult in shift timing (2-9 are weird hours).

Store managers in each state should work together to create more of a flow across stores.

629 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

Company is great, local management not-so-much.

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company itself is fun to work for - to talk about cooking & food every day was great. To help the customers find the right cooking solutions was a lot of fun too. The company often had contests so that stores, no matter what size, had the potential to win prizes for the employees. The discount there is also great. The people I worked with (for the most part) were great and since then I keep in contact with them. Also depending on the store you work in, you can have some really great mangers who make you excited to come into work each day.

Cons

The store manager is lazy. He sits in the backroom and listens to his podcasts and pretends to have a M-F 9-5 job like his friends do, which is far from the reality. The DM is blinded to this and it was extremely frustrating to work for a manager who didn't work hard (or at all). The hours sometimes can be tough, especially if you have a family. The customers, depending on where the store is located, can be ridiculous - their level of entitlement is mind-blowing - they want you do wait on them NOW even though you're already helping someone else and "Why can't you wrap this giant porcelain platter in less than 10 min? I need to leave for my nail appointment." The visa card & email programs - stop forcing your employees to do that - many customers get really upset for being asked about this stuff!

Get rid of the store manager and put someone who really cares about the business not just earning a paycheck. Also have a serious sit down with the DM for letting the store get so bad. Also, stop forcing

Love my store, perplexed by recent decisions of upper management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The associates and managers at my store get along very well, we have fun while doing our jobs and we do them well. There is a genuine concern for the customer and a passion for the products amongst the staff. It's almost like a second family.

Cons

Even in the short time (2 years) I've been with the company things have become much worse.

Upper management slashes payroll constantly no matter what the business trends are for that week and we end up with 3 people running the store on a given day. The lack of attention to the customer does not bode well with the clientelle but theres no way we can service the customer AND accomplish all the menial tasks and paperwork while getting paid a practically insulting wage.

The company treats its associates like they're stupid by exerting an opressive amount of corporate control-- telling us even how to answer the phone in a cheesy insencere way.

The store management is drown in meaningless paperwork and constant useless conference calls so much that they can't ever be there on the floor to manage.

Our point-of-sale system and computer systems are so disjointed and antiquated they make our jobs infinately more difficult. Completing the simplest tasks involve running multiple different programs on more than one terminal all while the customer is waiting. Our clientelling system is worthless since follow up is nearly impossible so entering information into it is a complete waste of time.

Let go of the reigns a little bit... or a lot. If you trust your employees you won't need to be interfering with their business all the time, give the stores room to do their jobs and STOP introducing "new initiatives" which aren't even helpful. Why did the company pick this current economic time to launch a credit card and have us jam it down our customers throats or else get in trouble from managment?

Increase payroll so there can at the very least be enough people to run the store efficiently... maybe even pay a living wage to employees?

Don't schedule more than one floor move in a season (maybe a couple extra during the holidays) but it takes SO much time to move all that merchandise around just so they can pull it off the floor and then put it back on the next season, time that they are not willing to pay for.

Respect your employees enough to treat them as professionals, not mindless drones. You can tell me what to do but don't insist on the way that I do it... trust that I know how to do my job!

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma