There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Excellent company to work for. Benefits are great

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Hours, Health Insurance plan

Cons

Base Salary, Scheduling can be a bit difficult in shift timing (2-9 are weird hours).

Store managers in each state should work together to create more of a flow across stores.

reviews filtered by

Love my store, perplexed by recent decisions of upper management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The associates and managers at my store get along very well, we have fun while doing our jobs and we do them well. There is a genuine concern for the customer and a passion for the products amongst the staff. It's almost like a second family.

Cons

Even in the short time (2 years) I've been with the company things have become much worse.

Upper management slashes payroll constantly no matter what the business trends are for that week and we end up with 3 people running the store on a given day. The lack of attention to the customer does not bode well with the clientelle but theres no way we can service the customer AND accomplish all the menial tasks and paperwork while getting paid a practically insulting wage.

The company treats its associates like they're stupid by exerting an opressive amount of corporate control-- telling us even how to answer the phone in a cheesy insencere way.

The store management is drown in meaningless paperwork and constant useless conference calls so much that they can't ever be there on the floor to manage.

Our point-of-sale system and computer systems are so disjointed and antiquated they make our jobs infinately more difficult. Completing the simplest tasks involve running multiple different programs on more than one terminal all while the customer is waiting. Our clientelling system is worthless since follow up is nearly impossible so entering information into it is a complete waste of time.

Let go of the reigns a little bit... or a lot. If you trust your employees you won't need to be interfering with their business all the time, give the stores room to do their jobs and STOP introducing "new initiatives" which aren't even helpful. Why did the company pick this current economic time to launch a credit card and have us jam it down our customers throats or else get in trouble from managment?

Increase payroll so there can at the very least be enough people to run the store efficiently... maybe even pay a living wage to employees?

Don't schedule more than one floor move in a season (maybe a couple extra during the holidays) but it takes SO much time to move all that merchandise around just so they can pull it off the floor and then put it back on the next season, time that they are not willing to pay for.

Respect your employees enough to treat them as professionals, not mindless drones. You can tell me what to do but don't insist on the way that I do it... trust that I know how to do my job!

Accordion Hiring & Massive Layoffs.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will meet good, friendly people there who will stick with you for a long time. Merchandise perks are great.

Cons

A lot of dishonesty and politics. People play "favorites" and there is absolutely no set training. There are no clear cut policies - people will come to you telling you have done something wrong when you were trained to do it that way by upper-management. DO NOT TAKE THE JOB ON A SEASONAL BASIS. Williams-Sonoma/Pottery Barn hires in mass amounts from July-October and then FIRES EVERYONE in January-February. They will never tell you who they will be firing - they will just cut you.

Several larger Call Centers (Telus, Sitel, and Expedia for example) know of WSI's hiring tactics ("Accordion Hiring") and will tell you to steer clear. If you want a good job where you don't have to worry about the chopping block or being exploited for next to no pay, no benefits, and no ethical values, stay far away from WSI.

Upgrade your technology.
    Stop playing favorites with employees.
    Have one set way to do things and make sure everyone is on the same page with the protocol.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma