Williams-Sonoma

www.williams-sonomainc.com

Love my store, perplexed by recent decisions of upper management

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe associates and managers at my store get along very well, we have fun while doing our jobs and we do them well. There is a genuine concern for the customer and a passion for the products amongst the staff. It's almost like a second family.

ConsEven in the short time (2 years) I've been with the company things have become much worse.

Upper management slashes payroll constantly no matter what the business trends are for that week and we end up with 3 people running the store on a given day. The lack of attention to the customer does not bode well with the clientelle but theres no way we can service the customer AND accomplish all the menial tasks and paperwork while getting paid a practically insulting wage.

The company treats its associates like they're stupid by exerting an opressive amount of corporate control-- telling us even how to answer the phone in a cheesy insencere way.

The store management is drown in meaningless paperwork and constant useless conference calls so much that they can't ever be there on the floor to manage.

Our point-of-sale system and computer systems are so disjointed and antiquated they make our jobs infinately more difficult. Completing the simplest tasks involve running multiple different programs on more than one terminal all while the customer is waiting. Our clientelling system is worthless since follow up is nearly impossible so entering information into it is a complete waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the reigns a little bit... or a lot. If you trust your employees you won't need to be interfering with their business all the time, give the stores room to do their jobs and STOP introducing "new initiatives" which aren't even helpful. Why did the company pick this current economic time to launch a credit card and have us jam it down our customers throats or else get in trouble from managment?

Increase payroll so there can at the very least be enough people to run the store efficiently... maybe even pay a living wage to employees?

Don't schedule more than one floor move in a season (maybe a couple extra during the holidays) but it takes SO much time to move all that merchandise around just so they can pull it off the floor and then put it back on the next season, time that they are not willing to pay for.

Respect your employees enough to treat them as professionals, not mindless drones. You can tell me what to do but don't insist on the way that I do it... trust that I know how to do my job!

Each location is as good as the local management

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great local management and DM Cons: Stop with the inquisition already. Who helped you?, Will you be paying with your W-S visa, what's your zip code?, What's your… Advice to Senior Management: Let the stores get back to offering excellent customer service and stop with the questions. Excellent service will sell the product, not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fun for awhile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros: Lots of fun working with fellow associates. Strong culture with lots of emphasis on… Cons: Not enough ongoing training and development. Lots of changes in last several… Advice to Senior Management: Go back to what made you great and stop chasing… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!