Williams-Sonoma
www.williams-sonomainc.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

When Howard Lester died so did Williams-Sonoma

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat coworkers, discount, exposure to new products.

ConsLow wages, no training, zero appreciation for service and dedication. Do more and more with no thanks. Make sure you scrape by with 2/2 coverage as long as the stock holders have a dividend we look golden on the outside. We went from a people first company under Howard Lester to the bottom line overnight under Laura Alber. We went from a company with vision to a company with metrics. Burdened by email gathering, zip codes, pushing credit cards, clientelling and that's before the transaction is over. For those who never sold used cars it's a hard sell. It was a lovely place to work now it's just a job and that is why they are failing, employees feel the disingenuous atmosphere . Conversely if you are a snake and brown noser you can advance quickly. Drink the kool-aid or move along.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back and look at the Howard Lester way. Go back to Chuck's vision. It may be 2013 and things are different but their way worked for many years and yours don't seem to be. Mba's are great but you can't run a company based on numbers alone. Your employees are your biggest asset and they aren't happy. How do you think that translates into your ever day sales numbers?

Daily/weekly sales results driven company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Montclair, NJ

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: High volume location. Not located in mall-free standing. Cons: Hours are inconsistent and cut back quite often Advice to Senior Management: Management team is run well in this location No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Sets a higher standard for retail employment experience

Stock Associate (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: There are plenty of growth opportunities available, and the company has… Cons: There are huge opportunities around internals systems, particularly inventory management. On the note of inventory, more attention needs… Advice to Senior Management: Treat everyone equally. The stock guy you staffed by himself to load furniture in… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All reviews posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.