When Howard Lester died so did Williams-Sonoma

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, discount, exposure to new products.

Cons

Low wages, no training, zero appreciation for service and dedication. Do more and more with no thanks. Make sure you scrape by with 2/2 coverage as long as the stock holders have a dividend we look golden on the outside. We went from a people first company under Howard Lester to the bottom line overnight under Laura Alber. We went from a company with vision to a company with metrics. Burdened by email gathering, zip codes, pushing credit cards, clientelling and that's before the transaction is over. For those who never sold used cars it's a hard sell. It was a lovely place to work now it's just a job and that is why they are failing, employees feel the disingenuous atmosphere . Conversely if you are a snake and brown noser you can advance quickly. Drink the kool-aid or move along.

Advice to Management

Go back and look at the Howard Lester way. Go back to Chuck's vision. It may be 2013 and things are different but their way worked for many years and yours don't seem to be. Mba's are great but you can't run a company based on numbers alone. Your employees are your biggest asset and they aren't happy. How do you think that translates into your ever day sales numbers?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Management Style Disconnected...

Former Employee - Gift Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Gift Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% Discount and working with mostly a decent grade of quality products.

Cons

Told one thing, trained another, and the actuality was yet another! Was hired and told that I would help plan events for the store and led to believe that it would be an open opportunity to promote the Gift/Bridal Events as well as canvas specific clients to build specific marketed business. Was told one thing and then never given any opportunity or schedule to do anything. It was very odd. I felt like I was on the trading floor at Wall Street. We were endlessly being directed by corporate on what seemed like an hour to hour status. I was never told about the "on-call" scheduling and it was briefly touched on in training after being hired. One call from corporate one day created a "gotta-cut-payroll-storm" and seasoned employees and staff were quickly cut and told to go home at certain times. So my 5 hour on-call status, though called in - was cut to 3 hours. And this was the constant norm. Most weekly schedules had 3 or 4 days of on-call shifts which required you to call almost 2 hours in advance because it took so much time to get there and parking was difficult at the Mall of America. I never got to work on the projects that were "sold" to me. Then you were told on your shift that you would cover a certain area but in reality on the floor, you had to do the "right" thing and help customers in all different areas and ways that seemed disconnected by management. It was very odd and it seemed always "frantic" and disconnected from the genuine opportunity to step up and offer what Williams-Sonoma is supposed to be about -customer service, a great experience for the customer, and relationship building with the customer. The computer systems were beyond archaic. It was not an environment that set you up to succeed. Lots of finger pointing by management for what seemed like their lack of TIME because they were always being run by CORPORATE. Too much disconnect. Not a good experience and felt the whole process was odd. Very outdated discourse - dictatorial and not necessary. The frantic headset in your ear is ridiculous and a big disconnect from the products/customer opportunity. I think Williams-Sonoma is scared of Amazon! Associates might as well be robots.

Advice to Management

Trust your hired people and stop the border collie on the your heals style of management.

Small workforce, not inclusive

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hingham, MA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The discount can be great if you don't need your paycheck.

Cons

No room for advancement within the company.