Micro managed company

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount on all the family of brands. Really smart and friendly coworkers who were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

It's hard to grow your career with this company. Very little promotions and when there is it's more of a small pay raise than more responsibility. We supposedly had one of our best years in 2012, but there has been a hiring freeze and many benefits taken away. Why would WS communicate to the team that we're doing awesome and then punish us? There's also very little perks and benefits to working here except for the great employee discount. We used to have 2pm leave on Fridays but that was just recently taken away. What are they thinking? Everyone is going to begin to leave and take advantage of the tech boom in San Francisco and leave for companies who have great benefits. We also acquired and developed new brands in 2012, but instead of hiring more people everyone had to take on additional work and I think the quality of work is suffering because everyone is barely scraping by.

Upper management and the brand presidents are too hands on and micro manage their team and this trickles down to everyone in the company. It's very frustrating when management constantly does whatever it takes to make sales regardless of thinking about the customer experience! They need to back off and listen to their people (the experts) and let us do our job the way we think is best for the company. Of course there needs to be guidance from management, but I feel like it's gotten to the point where we don't feel like our voice is heard.

Other Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Manager needs help with keeping store signs and displays current

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the associates I work with and their eagerness to help customers. Great associate discount for their products. Wouldn't want to work for any other retailer with similar products.

Cons

Love my manager, but she needs help keeping signage current for displayed products. Some displays not functioning properly, such as salt and pepper mills, displaying products without all their parts, such as oven racks. I realize that's because of fear of customer stealing, but there has to be a way to display products better.

Keep this manager by all means. She is a very hard worker and eager to please customers and employees.

Going downhill

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

great products and great associates

Cons

Corporate asks for the impossible. As an associate you are expected to carry out too many tasks at once while delivering amazing customer service. It cannot all be done well! And the pay is TERRIBLE

Stop having so many meetings. Come into the stores and see what's really going on. So many changes are happening and they're not helping the stores at all.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!