Williams-Sonoma
www.williams-sonomainc.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Micro managed company

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discount on all the family of brands. Really smart and friendly coworkers who were a pleasure to work with.

ConsIt's hard to grow your career with this company. Very little promotions and when there is it's more of a small pay raise than more responsibility. We supposedly had one of our best years in 2012, but there has been a hiring freeze and many benefits taken away. Why would WS communicate to the team that we're doing awesome and then punish us? There's also very little perks and benefits to working here except for the great employee discount. We used to have 2pm leave on Fridays but that was just recently taken away. What are they thinking? Everyone is going to begin to leave and take advantage of the tech boom in San Francisco and leave for companies who have great benefits. We also acquired and developed new brands in 2012, but instead of hiring more people everyone had to take on additional work and I think the quality of work is suffering because everyone is barely scraping by.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management and the brand presidents are too hands on and micro manage their team and this trickles down to everyone in the company. It's very frustrating when management constantly does whatever it takes to make sales regardless of thinking about the customer experience! They need to back off and listen to their people (the experts) and let us do our job the way we think is best for the company. Of course there needs to be guidance from management, but I feel like it's gotten to the point where we don't feel like our voice is heard.

Good place, but loaded with tenured talent

Data Scientist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros: Everyone's smart and competent and it's a good place to… Cons: Hard to branch out into combined strategic + analytic functions. Advice to Senior Management: The CEO needs to stop managing in a reactionary manner. Work from home was just cancelled out of a knee-jerk 'feeling' that people are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Family Brand

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Multi billion dollar corporation, 6+ various different brands, high pay… Cons: Not an easy copany to grow in (if you have… Advice to Senior Management: loss prevention has a flaw....return policy is too flexible. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All reviews posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.