Wilsons The Leather Experts

www.wilsonsleather.com
  www.wilsonsleather.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wilsons The Leather Experts

Not a bad place to work, but not the best place either.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Friendswood, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Friendswood, TX

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts

Pros

They teach you a lot about the material you are selling, so you don't end up working for a company you know nothing about. Very many well explained videos about security and customer service. There are tests that an employee must take to make sure they know a lot about leather. You get to meet a lot of new people, many return customers. It isn't a hostile environment. Generally easy to work for, lots of free time while at work.

Cons

Very little trust of employees, micromanaging, few opportunities for advancement. Lousy pay. Management was very fixated on selling leather care products and based your performance not on sales of jackets but on sales of leather care products. Very few people come to the store so your daily score can vary and it makes you look bad. A little bit of over management on certain subjects. Constantly suspicious of their employees.

Pay sales associates better based on experience, don't let the managers put too much pressure on employees to sell certain products, add more variety in clothing/accessories.

54 Other Employee Reviews for Wilsons The Leather Experts (View Most Recent)

Expert at Leather, but not running a company

Former Employee - Former Store Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Former Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts

Pros

I was fairly independant, the DM didn't visit too terribly often.

Cons

Not being allowed to freely run my store with regards to hiring/firing. Having to fire good people because sales were down ....sales were down for the whole company, the associates were working hard....

Not having the home office listen to what the store managers and associates say. They are on the frontlines hearing what the customers want, to just dismiss that imput is dismiising very valuable opinions.

Having to fire people over add on selling, when just getting regular sales was hard, that was a mistake. The store employees that I had were some of the hardest working and super loyal people. Sales were down company wide, the effort should not have gone unnoticed.

LIsten to your store managers and employees about what the customers are asking for, their wants and needs.

Don't think he's at the head of the totem pole. But if he is. He's worried

Former Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts

Pros

Based on my experience it's a great place to work. Or rather it was. Our manager was super.
    easy to work for and made everyone feel important. We worked as a team and covered for eachother almost anytime. It may not be the same in other stores so I think speaking to the other sales people would be a good idea.

Cons

They closed over 161 stores without warning. So I'd say that's a downside. Managers don't want to spend their monthly budget for things we need at the store since it's linked to their overall gross if they use it. They ask more of their management team they they are willing to pay for. We work hard to bring up our overall income and ratings for the year and never get raises. The corporatation sidesteps a raise by offering a bonus if you get the stores goal and then every sales associate needs to over goal to achieve their bonus.

Don't keep things from your management team. Disclose and be honest.

There are newer employer reviews for Wilsons The Leather Experts

Worked for Wilsons The Leather Experts? Contribute to the Community!