IT jobs move offshore.

Current Employee - Senior Client Server Developer in Twinsburg, OH
Current Employee - Senior Client Server Developer in Twinsburg, OH

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Salary and compensation packages are competitive for this market.

Cons

The company has taken an aggresive stance on IT outsourcing. Many colleagues have been replaced with offshore resources. Existing jobs all seem to be in fear of being replaced with offshore resources. Working with these offshore resources is definetly a challenge. The language barrier and time differences are major hurdles. Also, the quality of work is sub par in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I would suggest migrating away from offshore resources. Also, Senior Management harps on driving down costs and expenses. Employee bonuses have ceased but Senior Management bonus and compensation has increased. This kills morale and management credibility.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Thinking wireline-think Windstream

Current Employee - Wireline Trainer II in Cornelia, GA
    Current Employee - Wireline Trainer II in Cornelia, GA

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

In the wireline industry, there is no better company to work for. Our financials are strong, our leadership is driven and out goals are constantly being obtained. Windstream is certainly rewarding and fair. A degree was important, but the lack of education never held me back from advancement.

Cons

It is located in rural markets, and the corporate office is in Little Rock Ar.

Advice to Management

Keep on taking this company to the next level. Assure your employees that you are in it for the long-haul, not just a sell-off.

2. Good company overall, but they really need to focus on customer service.

Current Employee - Broadband Service Representative in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Broadband Service Representative in Salina, KS

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Windstream is a good company overall and I think that they are smart in focusing on what is important for their business, broadband. After Alltel spun off their landline side of operations into Windstream it seems like the executives really decided they needed to focus on their main area, rural telecommunications. They have not only gotten rid of some things that are not really necessary (publishing), but they also seem to have really become interested in acquiring other small rural telco's. Mostly though their best move has to been to prioritize expanding their broadband services as much as possible as this is the only area that most telephone companies are growing in. I also think that they made a good move in embracing the bundling concept that most communication companies have been pushing. Partnering with Dish Network, XM radio and TiVo seems to have really worked out for them as this is excellent for customer retention. They seem to have been pretty smart in how they are working their fiber distributions. Putting fiber into new housing communities only and not doing expensive retrofits is a good policy Another nice thing is that calling other departments within Windstream is pretty painless. I have worked for other companies where if you call another department they treat you like the enemy and trying to pass the customer off to them is an excruciating process. However with other departments in Windstream they are pretty friendly and seem to take responsibility if it is in their realm.

Cons

Really I felt that the middle management in Windstream was one of the main problems. I know that most of the cost savings schemes (I use that word meaningfully) came from upper management, but the way that the information was passed to the actual customer facing people by middle management was an issue. Middle management seemed to have a policy of completely pushing the company rhetoric and refusing to acknowledge reality. I don't mean that they should have been bad mouthing the company to their subordinates, but they can express their honest, human opinions about policies. As it was it almost felt like they were all fed the same script and then had to spout it out whenever anything vaguely non-policy was suggested. Trying to get even a silly policy changed that obviously did not make sense was an uphill battle. However their worst idea has to been outsourcing their tier 1 technical support for internet services. First, outsourcing to India after most major companies have started to move their support back from India seems like a bad idea. Secondly, as a rural telecommunications company their are going to be some language barriers. Lastly, they should be focusing on customer service rather than doing things to detract from it.

Advice to Management

I would really advise you to re-think your customer service policies with billing and technical support. I understand that cutting costs and saving money is very important. However, if cost savings comes at the cost of customer service you are going to cause yourself headaches for the future.