There are newer employer reviews for Windstream

Good company overall, but they really need to focus on customer service.

Current Employee - Broadband Service Representative  in  Salina, KS
Current Employee - Broadband Service Representative in Salina, KS

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Windstream is a good company overall and I think that they are smart in focusing on what is important for their business, broadband. After Alltel spun off their landline side of operations into Windstream it seems like the executives really decided they needed to focus on their main area, rural telecommunications. They have not only gotten rid of some things that are not really necessary (publishing), but they also seem to have really become interested in acquiring other small rural telco's. Mostly though their best move has to been to prioritize expanding their broadband services as much as possible as this is the only area that most telephone companies are growing in. I also think that they made a good move in embracing the bundling concept that most communication companies have been pushing. Partnering with Dish Network, XM radio and TiVo seems to have really worked out for them as this is excellent for customer retention. They seem to have been pretty smart in how they are working their fiber distributions. Putting fiber into new housing communities only and not doing expensive retrofits is a good policy Another nice thing is that calling other departments within Windstream is pretty painless. I have worked for other companies where if you call another department they treat you like the enemy and trying to pass the customer off to them is an excruciating process. However with other departments in Windstream they are pretty friendly and seem to take responsibility if it is in their realm.

Cons

Really I felt that the middle management in Windstream was one of the main problems. I know that most of the cost savings schemes (I use that word meaningfully) came from upper management, but the way that the information was passed to the actual customer facing people by middle management was an issue. Middle management seemed to have a policy of completely pushing the company rhetoric and refusing to acknowledge reality. I don't mean that they should have been bad mouthing the company to their subordinates, but they can express their honest, human opinions about policies. As it was it almost felt like they were all fed the same script and then had to spout it out whenever anything vaguely non-policy was suggested. Trying to get even a silly policy changed that obviously did not make sense was an uphill battle. However their worst idea has to been outsourcing their tier 1 technical support for internet services. First, outsourcing to India after most major companies have started to move their support back from India seems like a bad idea. Secondly, as a rural telecommunications company their are going to be some language barriers. Lastly, they should be focusing on customer service rather than doing things to detract from it.

I would really advise you to re-think your customer service policies with billing and technical support. I understand that cutting costs and saving money is very important. However, if cost savings comes at the cost of customer service you are going to cause yourself headaches for the future.

254 Other Employee Reviews for Windstream (View Most Recent)

Great coworkers, not sure about long-term vision of company

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and supervisors; management is supportive of career growth and respectful of work-life balance. Work is interesting and varied.

Cons

I'm not sure I trust the management's vision for the future of the company. It feels like every year the management says we're about to turn a corner. Also, every year there's a new gimmick: Last year was a corporate culture initiative, this year is a new intranet tool.

lack of diversity in upper management

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

big company lots of opportunities if you're hired on at the head office in Little Rock or Greenville or Rochester.

Cons

Terrible management. people who were reps on the phones were promoted to management without any management training.

Get yourself training, you should know how to manage people, and be fair.

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!