Windstream

www.windstream.com
  www.windstream.com
There are newer employer reviews for Windstream

This could be a lot better if...

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Dalton, GA
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am allowed to telecommute and after being a Windstreamer for 5 years, I now have 3 weeks paid vacation and 5 optional holidays. We also have 7 paid sick days. My work group is for the most part self managed.

Cons

After seeing the salaries already reported by other Windstreamers with my job title, I find that I am even more underpaid compared to others with the Software Engineer I title than I thought I was.

Due to recent "restructuring," my work-group has lost valuable resources that knew the ins and outs of their jobs. There are a few managers in those work groups now that I really feel do not have the know how for their jobs based on the short amount of time they have been in their positions (some not even in the department they manage before they became managers) compared to those who were "restructured."

Personally, in the almost 5 years that I have been with the company, I have had three different managers, even though I have never changed positions (although we were reclassified from System Administrators to Software Engineers 3 years ago, only still doing the same work.) I have never met my current manager in person, and only met the preceding manager once.

Communication between work groups is poor, and there have been many times where my group has opened a trouble ticket to another group, only to have the ticket get transfered to one group, then another, then another, only for it to end up back to the supervisor of the person we orginally opened it to.

As far as benefits, for 2013, our medical premiums are triple what they were in 2011, and deductibles have nearly doubled since then, so by the time we pay for our insurance, we can't afford to actually be sick.

Management needs to do something about the healthcare situation, because since switching from BCBS to UMR, healthcare costs have gotten out of hand. I know people working for much smaller companies than Windstream that are not paying as much as we are, and Windstream should be able to leverage economies of scale to get us better rates, or at least cover more than 10% of the annual increase when the year-over-year increase is roughly 46%.

Also, the increase in the Wellness Rewards is pathetic compared to the increase in healthcare premiums, and the changes to the program hurts those who have a spouse covered under the plan. I understand requiring a spouse to participate in the plan as well, but it is not fair for a single employ covering only themselves to be able to earn the same amount of Wellness Rewards as an Employee and Spouse that both have to meet the same requirements as the single employee.

As far as raises, for the last two years, the merit raises I have gotten haven't even been enough to compensate healthcare cost increases. My take home pay has decreased year-over-year.

299 Other Employee Reviews for Windstream (View Most Recent)

Good Company, work hard and get compensated

Former Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cares about employees and their health gives rewards

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough indians

Work life balance good but could be better.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No Sundays but would be better if all weekends were off.

Cons

Have to work Some Saturdays

Allow employees to enjoy time off and not demand overtime.

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream