Windstream

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream

Stressful and draining job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cornelia, GA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cornelia, GA

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to make extra money when you make commission and the chance to work with and create some good friendships with co workers. Windstream offers campaigns at work to win things like tvs and internet tablets and money....but money and things cant replace your sanity.

Cons

Sales expectations makes job high stress. All calls are monitored by a group of other employees and pretty much every word out of your mouth is dictated. You are expected to say everything a certain way or you get a low score. Its like being in prison. You cant be who you want to be or say anything you want to say without getting in truoble for not doing it right. Also schedules change constantly...you may work an early shift for months then work the closing shift for months and you never know when it will change. No way to have a life or family life when you never know what your shift will be and as soon as you get accustomed to one shift and your family life settles into it they will change it on you.

Stop requiring reps to sell services and products customers don't really need to just look like you are meeting a quota. Upgrade equipment in your service areas to accomodate customers who need better and faster internet. Work with your employees and have more compassion for them...they have families at home and circumstances going on that needs consideration sometimes. Lack of communication in many areas and alot of contradicting going on between the mgt, supervisors and reps. They tell you to talk to the customers and find out what they really need as far as services and products but then tell you how many minutes you can be on each call. Alot needs to change or the one that will always remain the same at Windstream in the turnover rate..which is outrageous.

283 Other Employee Reviews for Windstream (View Most Recent)

What they want you to do and what they tell you to do are not the same.

Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Cornelia, GA
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Cornelia, GA

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved my co-workers when we were able to have meetings.
    I liked the Management directly above me, they are willing to help you where they can.
    The Pay was decent and I received excellent initial training.

Cons

There is a break in communication between the lower management and corporate leadership. The higher ups seem to have no idea what it is really like interacting with the customers but they make the rules and goals for call time etc. As a Customer service representative the main focus of the job is not to take care of the customer but to sell the customer additional products that they may or may not need, especially additional Phone land lines and "bundle adders" (e.g. virus protection etc). The sales goals are very high and the pressure is extreme. Making the job more difficult is the fact that equipment is not upgraded like it should be for a company that brands itself as high tech and there are constant supply chain issues for repairs and upgrades. If a customer is calling in to complain that their broadband service isn't working, it is difficult to convince them to buy additional products from you. Additionally for several months there was mandatory overtime every day of the week and it was next to impossible to get scheduled time off.

Upper Management seems to think that the big problems in the marketplace are branding issues. Unfortunately, available technologies have surpassed what Windstream is able to provide even in an ideal situation, which is rarely the case. As a case in point, The company spent Millions in marketing on their Merge Campaign which was designed to compete in the marketplace with products like Comcast's xfinity and AT&T's Uverse. There was no new product, it was still ADSL2+ that had just been re-branded to add a Roku device. However, the campaign was abandoned less than 9 months later when numerous issues, including a lack of training for the sales team, and extreme confusion on the part of the customer base arose. There was no planning or follow through on a flimsy premise at best.

In short, my advice is 1) spend more money on fixing the system in place because good word of mouth is be best advertising you can buy. 2) Split your Sales team and Customer service teams up. No one wants to call in to report an issue with a bill discrepancy and have someone try and sell them something 3)please abandon the idea that all of your customers want Land Lines and stop forcing it on them. Most of your customers only want DSL anymore and even your prices for that are really high.

This could be a lot better if...

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am allowed to telecommute and after being a Windstreamer for 5 years, I now have 3 weeks paid vacation and 5 optional holidays. We also have 7 paid sick days. My work group is for the most part self managed.

Cons

After seeing the salaries already reported by other Windstreamers with my job title, I find that I am even more underpaid compared to others with the Software Engineer I title than I thought I was.

Due to recent "restructuring," my work-group has lost valuable resources that knew the ins and outs of their jobs. There are a few managers in those work groups now that I really feel do not have the know how for their jobs based on the short amount of time they have been in their positions (some not even in the department they manage before they became managers) compared to those who were "restructured."

Personally, in the almost 5 years that I have been with the company, I have had three different managers, even though I have never changed positions (although we were reclassified from System Administrators to Software Engineers 3 years ago, only still doing the same work.) I have never met my current manager in person, and only met the preceding manager once.

Communication between work groups is poor, and there have been many times where my group has opened a trouble ticket to another group, only to have the ticket get transfered to one group, then another, then another, only for it to end up back to the supervisor of the person we orginally opened it to.

As far as benefits, for 2013, our medical premiums are triple what they were in 2011, and deductibles have nearly doubled since then, so by the time we pay for our insurance, we can't afford to actually be sick.

Management needs to do something about the healthcare situation, because since switching from BCBS to UMR, healthcare costs have gotten out of hand. I know people working for much smaller companies than Windstream that are not paying as much as we are, and Windstream should be able to leverage economies of scale to get us better rates, or at least cover more than 10% of the annual increase when the year-over-year increase is roughly 46%.

Also, the increase in the Wellness Rewards is pathetic compared to the increase in healthcare premiums, and the changes to the program hurts those who have a spouse covered under the plan. I understand requiring a spouse to participate in the plan as well, but it is not fair for a single employ covering only themselves to be able to earn the same amount of Wellness Rewards as an Employee and Spouse that both have to meet the same requirements as the single employee.

As far as raises, for the last two years, the merit raises I have gotten haven't even been enough to compensate healthcare cost increases. My take home pay has decreased year-over-year.

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream