Still good-ole boy politics.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Matthews, NC
Former Employee - Manager in Matthews, NC

I worked at Windstream

Pros

They offer a competitive salary for similar jobs in the industry.

Cons

Some upper managers allowed to make employment decisions based on petty issues and not on past performance.

Review an employee's ethic and work history before making an employment decision by one upset manager.

Other Reviews for Windstream

What is Windstream's corporate direction?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, OH

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

The benefits are good: dental, vision and medical insurance, 401K, paid vacation days are comparable to other carriers in the industry. The management does give me wide latitude in carrying out my job responsibilities. For the most part, I am free to succeed or fail based on my capabilities. The work force deployment has been stable with no layoffs in recent memory. The work place environment is respectful and pretty much free of bullying or harassment. A high premium is placed on ethical behavior and honesty.

Cons

The corporation is extremely tight with money. This affects many areas which can have an impact on productivity and morale. Programs which can increase productivity are not funded, training dollars have been cut, PC replacement cycles have been lengthened and little funds are available for employee activities.The 401K match was recently lowered to 4% (dollar for dollar). There is no pension plan contribution after 2011.

The management above the local first level does not listen to what the needs for the job are. The numbers for performance tracking indexes dictates the actions to be taken. Common sense actions are sometimes subverted in order to "make the numbers".

Windstream's corporate pay scales make it difficult to attract and keep top level talent. This in turn has a corporate wide impact on employee turnover and business development.

I would suggest a clearer vision of where Windstream is going. Does Windstream as a corporation have as it's top priority acquisition or is it willing to step up and develop new products and services. This will involve a diversion of resources ($$$$) to grow the business.

Better than most.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II  in  Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

The pay is good, and I enjoy my job most of the time, I mean hardly anyone likes their job every single day. I think the benefits are good, medical, dental, vision, supplemental life, and spouse supplemental life are all available. The medical insurance is good and the cost is fabulous, especially compared with my previous small business job. MSAs are available also. They also have a stock purchase plan where they pay all the cost to purchase, so all your withholdings go toward the stock.

Cons

We are not recognized for doing thing good/right. You have to save the company money or find money to be recognized. We are afraid of losing our jobs to someone cheaper/younger/overseas. People get fired for no apparent reason--we all think its because the old Alltel cronies are needing jobs now. There is little to no training. You absolutely hit the ground running no matter what. There is supposedly an open door policy, and technically there is, but you will pay eventually if you are the squeaky wheel.

LIsten to your employees, for real. We should not be afraid to come to you.

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!