Windstream

www.windstream.com
  www.windstream.com
There are newer employer reviews for Windstream

Pays the bills, but not a job to love.

Former Employee - Call Center in Harrison, AR
Former Employee - Call Center in Harrison, AR

I worked at Windstream

Pros

- The pay was some of the best you can find in the area.
- The job was not physically demanding.
- The benefits were good.
- The supervisors would try to create activities that would build some connection between the departments, but at the end of the day, you knew your job was just as much in peril as anyone else's.

Honestly, this job paid over $12 an hour, and when you live in an impoverished, rural area in Arkansas, this is the best you're going to get.

Cons

- Enforced overtime with no notice.
- Difficult to achieve a work/personal life balance
- Lack of respect from supervisors, treated as a mere vessel that lives only to make Windstream money
- Constant fears of being laid off

In a call center, during periods of high call volumes (which were nearly daily), it became routine to find out by mid-morning if we would need to work overtime. This can be difficult, as you can imagine, if you are someone with a child in school or in daycare. There were also required working weekends. While those were planned out and you could schedule around them, it still made it very difficult to achieve a decent work/personal life balance. Overtime paychecks are nice, but constant overtime gets old. Plus, taking vacation time off was never on our terms, it was on their terms (couldn't have too many people taking vacations at the same time, the phones have to be manned at all times). So you end up working 50-60 hours a week, every week, and get your vacation whenever they say you can. People with seniority get first dibs, so you can't plan a vacation until everyone else ahead of you has gotten a piece of the annual calendar.

It was also asinine that at one point, people in repair were asked to make a sales quota of $600 per month. Here we have angry and upset customers complaining about terrible service and outages, and we have to try and sell them something. Sure, if you're silver-tongued, you can pull it off. But honestly, the customers I got were usually quite irate and they weren't going to be buying stuff, and I wasn't about to spend the time on the phone trying to land a sale when there were zillions of other calls on hold.

There was also a strong adversarial relationship between the employees and supervisors and Windstream corporate. Supervisors were constantly staring at us through the blinds of their office windows, or walking around the floor listening in our conversations, recording our conversations, critiquing and analyzing every bit of what we did. Quotas were high and you were evaluated each morning on yesterday's progress. It's a very nervewracking environment and feels like you're running on a treadmill the whole time. Plus, people were getting laid off and fired left and right, so we always knew if we didn't push, push, push it would be us next. But it's a call center job, so it goes with the territory when you work a job like this. Some people like it, some don't.

While it's a great place to make money, I am quite glad I am no longer employed there. Not a job environment that I find healthy or enjoyable. If you're single, don't have children, have no other commitments, want to work long hours, and make a fair chunk of money in overtime, then Windstream's call centers are perfect.

Not much I can give. The normal gripes about lack of staffing and the waste of money in enforced overtime of all call center employees really doesn't matter. It's the nature of the job. You have to just accept it, or leave.

300 Other Employee Reviews for Windstream (View Most Recent)

want too much with such little pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perry, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perry, GA

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

weekendes off and holidays off

Cons

quota unrealistic demands of the job

no advice tomanagement

training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

abilities of the team work, having the chance to stay on cutting edge in training in your required field

Cons

favoritism "good old ____ club"

stop the favoritism in who they train....

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream