Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems
www.wingfootct.com Fort Smith, AR 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sales Professionals Stay Away From This Company

Commercial Tire Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCompany manufactures good commercial tires

ConsThe problems starts right from the interview when they present your earnings potential as a sales representative. In general terms you can earn from a $1.50 per tire to over $40.00 a tire depending
on the target market and the conditions in the market place. The problem is that you have to overcome your base salary and compete in the local market place against Goodyear dealers. To give a glimpse of things to come they tell you in the interview that if you don't meet your quote requirements by month 6 you will be fired. I thought nothing of this comment until I started working for the company and you realize that this is the way the company operates in bullying employees.

When interviewing with this company be prepared and make sure they show you all the accounts you will be working with. After that sit down and calculate what your earnings will be BEFORE you join the company. You will be surprised at the astronomical numbers you have to hit to receive any commissions. With the way things are run, you will always be standing alone with the company working against you.

Wingfoot’s strategy is that they will not compete on price with the dealers. This makes for some very interesting conversations with potential customers when they can't figure out why your prices are so high and some even accuse you of trying to rip them off. You can only stand there and take the grief. Also as a Wingfoot center you only get a tire inventory after the dealers have scoop up all that they need. When you find a customer that needs tires you'll be calling back that you just don’t have the tires.

The only way that you can succeed at this company is if you are walking into a territory that has a large amount of national accounts that are handed to you on a platter. To develop business in the local market place is a complete fantasy, because the tires and service are priced out of the market place.

I also need to address the company culture. The company is mainly run by individuals that
started from entry level positions and worked their way up through the company. As a sales person you are being managed by people who are retail managers and not sales professionals. Across the board nothing is geared for you to succeed as a sales person. The simplest things like a workable contact management software package, tools to put proposal together or pricing systems that are so arcane that they are a joke. Also you think that you will be at the company to generate sales and you just got fooled. You spend the bulk of your time making tire deliveries, picking up tire casings for retreading, and doing fleet surveys.

Wingfoot tries to present itself as a company that values it's employee's and has a culture of team spirit. That spirit is only expected of from employees and not from those that are in charge. They send you for 3 weeks of training at Fort Smith AR and then they chew you out for not meeting quota for that month. You will constantly hear stories and examples of people who were fired for the smallest things. Everyone walks around in fear of being the next person fired. The real cause of this is because there is no strategic thinking. You have managers that are completely lost with nothing to contribute or are just too afraid to say anything because they are placing their careers at jeopardy. In companies were the position of sales is respected everything is tested and proven in the market place before being implement to assure the success of their sales people.

For those who choose to work for this company reread this letter of warning and I'll tell you in advance I TOLD YOU SO!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the company culture so that it has a vision of success for itself and for the sales people who work for the company. Give the sales people the tools to succeed and compete against the dealers. Make the playing field equal. Hire other employees to do pick ups and delivers. Remove all the bullying from the company and hire people who are professional sales managers with vision and experience. Retail manager do not have the experience or aptitude to be sales people or sales managers. They are two different animals. Treat ALL employees as the professionals that they are. I worked with a lot of employees who gave it their all to make the company successful and are not appreciated.

Management has no control of the center.

I have been working at Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems

Pros: wingfoot provides good benefits. The work is long hours in extreme conditions.… Cons: Management has no control over the center. The employees run… Advice to Senior Management: Hold employees accountable for their actions. The work place environment is complete unstable and absolutly miserable to work in.… More

I feel mislead.

Commercial Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems

Pros: The work is great. I love meeting and helping customers. I really feel this should have… Cons: The corporate involvment in every sale cost money, ie lowers profit. Major confusion on product pricing and availability. Seven months and… Advice to Senior Management: Go with a real "cost" a real inventory and a real commision. inflated fake costs and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems.

Worked for Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems CEO Brent Copeland. All reviews posted anonymously by Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems employees.