Oppressive Firm

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I never have to deal with Winston's secretarial and human resources departments ever again.

Cons

I wholeheartedly agree with another review that this firm employs jerks. I had THE WORST experiences of my working life at Winston that were directly related to the miserable legal secretaries and supervisors I was forced to work with. If anyone tells you they enjoy working here, they are lying to you. I would never recommend this firm to anyone. I worked at another large Chicago law firm prior to joining Winston and it was a very laidback and friendly culture. Employees at that firm worked very well together and I made many lifelong friendships with my former co-workers. I assumed all large law firms were the same. After I joined Winston, I learned I was very wrong about that assumption. I went into complete culture shock when I joined Winston because my legal secretary co-workers were very snobby, unfriendly and computer illiterate. I got the clear message that many of them think they are better than you. It was very difficult interacting with these legal secretaries in order to complete a task because they were not helpful at all due to their bad attitudes. I was treated like an enemy rather than a co-worker. There is at least one legal secretary on each floor that is allowed to be employed here but does not have to work. The legal secretary supervisors are aware of that issue but do nothing to change it so it creates animosity amongst the legal secretaries with heavy assignments. And whenever they have a support staff layoff, secretarial management chooses to keep incompetent legal secretaries but let go the highly qualified legal secretaries. Same goes for attorneys. I have worked for some extremely intelligent, hardworking attorneys over the years and they were asked to leave. No wonder this firm's glory days are fading fast! Overall, this firm still believes it is THE top Chicago law firm when in reality it is far from the truth. Wake up and smell the coffee, W&S, your glory days are over.

Other Employee Reviews for Winston & Strawn

1. Great place to work

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The firm had great benefits including paid time off, generous maternity leave program, 401K match program. Nice people to work with.

Cons

I wish there were more advancement opportunities.

2. Working at Winston

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gained a lot more experience with Excel and PDF features and did a lot of various work and learned some about Trust and Estates

Cons

Management very different to previous firm

Advice to Management

Better structure