Wireless Advocates

Pros and cons of Wireless Advocates

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates

Pros

Considerable volume with prospects since you're in a Costco. Competitive pricing to retail stores and loyalty to Costco. You are selling multiple carriers, so you can potentially sell anyone.

Cons

Hours can be sometime inflexible and weekends are the best time for sales. You're not a Costco employee so the warehouse manager has you on a short string. Kiosk managers typically don't know what their doing since it's their first management position. Make sure you get along with the manager on a personal level, otherwise you are going to be stuck with the bad work hours and your sales will suffer. No place to sit so you're on your feet all day standing on concrete. Watch your back!

Hire people that have a proven track record of sales in one or more wireless company.

163 Other Employee Reviews for Wireless Advocates (View Most Recent)

Great Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Mobile Consultant
    Former Employee - Mobile Consultant

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commissions were reasonable. Overtime was allowed. I supported my 2 children by myself while working there. You work alone mostly, so there is no manager by your side which gives you freedom. But this freedom is only good if you're a motivated individual who can handle doing your job without direct supervision. It is sales, so you get what you put into it.

I went on to have a successful sales career- doubling my income as soon as I left the job. I believe this gave me enough sales experience to market myself to better paying employers.

Cons

Wireless Advocates was a test in select Staples Stores and oftentimes there were not many customers, yet we were expected to sell numerous phones per day. We had to have a list of prospects with their phone numbers and upgrade dates if we didn't sell. Staples customers didn't always appreciate being interupted during their shopping for a sales pitch. Staples ended up breaking their contract with Wireless Advocates due to poor phone sales performance and we had a choice to become Easy Techs and work for Staples or become unemployed.

I was top sales (2nd and 3rd place in the district spanning 5 states) numerous times, yet it wasn't easy. It takes a self-motivated individual. Because of the freedom we had, there was never a manager and never anyone around to answer questions. Also, our manager had no idea how to use the activation systems or basically train us on our job. It was a mess. I ended up training all the new hire mobile consultants while attempting to meet a quota.

Train your employees. Or pay someone to be a sales trainer.

And after working 10 days straight of 10 hour shifts, please consider allowing your employees a couple days off when they are in the process of moving..

Don't promise to promote someone to Kiosk Manager days before Wireless Advocates gets kicked out of Staples. The management knew it was happening, but kept giving us false promises and false hope.

Setting unrealistic expectations in a "test" environment (that failed and still continues to fail as Staples took over selling phones only to find people don't buy phones at staples) and giving only negative feedback is not the way to motivate someone to succeed.

Better compensation than most in the industry but poor management.

Former Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert
    Former Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The compensation is great as is the the foot traffic with locations at Costco. If you know what you're talking about and put in minimal effort you can make 18-20 per hour (as a full timer). If you actually try and are a decent salesperson you can make 22-26 per hour (as a full timer). Not bad money for no degree.

Cons

The pay structure definitely is in favor of working more hours as is the way they review you. Hitting goals as a part timer is significantly more difficult than as a full timer and management doesn't seem to understand this. Management can be unreachable at times and when trying to close a sale or fix an issue this is a big problem.

Be more accessible and listen to your salespeople. They are the ones bringing in revenue. Many of them don't even need to be managed to do so... which means many of your jobs don't need to exist unless you actually answer your phone to help solve problems. Be accessible.

There are newer employer reviews for Wireless Advocates

Worked for Wireless Advocates? Contribute to the Community!