Wireless Vision

www.wirelessvision.com

I used to love my job...

ProsI've met some great people.
Since I was limited in the cons section...
When the new director of sales came to Wireless Vision, he came into our market and had a round table with all the store managers. The three things he talked about were Hiring; we are going to get to 80% promoting from within, Quotas; they will be transparent, and the month of April; with the launch of the iPhone and the un-carrier our quotas were set low and April would be a “gimmie month”. The only fact he stated that day was that April was a gimmie month, and that is the last time I have made any real money!
It was said they were trying to get to company to 80% promoting from within, what they didn’t say is they were going to hire everyone they wanted in positions into the company first then promote them from within without following their own policy’s. For instance you have to be performing in your current position for a minimum of six months before you are considered for a promotion. Then they hire people in from Best Buy (at a higher rate of pay by 10 to 15k per year than their current long term employees I might add) as MID then within a month they are promoted to oversee a high volume store.
You have no chance at promotion beyond store manager, yes they have come up with a new position MID, what they don’t tell you is that you aren’t eligible for it unless you are in the pocket of someone that pulls the strings. This is a position that was established for people that want to become managers but upper management doesn’t think they are ready yet. Instead it is being used as a stepping stone to bring on people from outside the company.
There is absolutely no consistency. Never get too comfortable thinking you are doing things the appropriate way, give it a couple of months and it will change with no communication informing you of the changes. You will definitely be held accountable for not knowing about the change but who is accountable for not pushing out the information? You could be on a conference call with T-Mobile where they are praising us for doing a great job, then the next call you get on with Wireless vision they are letting us know how we are sucking it up. Well which is it?

ConsSpeaking of accountability, arbitrary quotas, who’s accountable for those? We are told the quota formula will be transparent. I don’t know about you but transparent to me means obvious, that you can see where they derived from. We were given a spread sheet and told where we could find the numbers they used. We plug in the numbers and come up with a completely different number than what we were given. How is that transparent? They have them so inflated in some stores because they project traffic and sales that aren’t there. They have even admitted on conference calls that the quotas were “over projected” yet we are still accountable for not hitting them and put on corrective actions. There was one month where they announced it as the best month in Wireless Vision history, yet only 5 stores out of the entire market hit quota. I guess we should take that to mean they raised our quotas to unattainable levels so they didn’t have to pay us therefore it was the most profitable month they ever had… We are encouraged to dig into accounts and see what we can do to generate revenue by getting the customer to agree to extra features. We do this and generate revenue for the store, then on the 20th of last month, are told that a particular feature would no longer generate revenue for the store. Now you would think that would mean from that point forward right?? NO, they took it back through the beginning of the month setting us farther back from hitting the arbitrary quota we were set. Then proceed to tell us later that we just won’t generate revenue from November and December on said feature, January however will be back to business as usual. So we were penalized for doing the very thing we were encouraged to do (only in the months where they know we will benefit the most from it), if we ask questions we are being combative… yet they care what we think.
Wireless vision has been doing round table sessions or what they now call listening sessions, to listen to anything we think is going well or not so well. They come into the market and get 10 to 15 employees together and give us an hour and a half once a quarter. How is that enough time for that many employees to really get into what is or isn’t working? That to me says you want to portray you care in reality you can’t see past the spreadsheet in front of you. You care about the numbers on the page and threaten holding people “accountable” when you aren’t seeing what you want to see. Guess what actually being in the stores and seeing what is happening first hand will give you the information you need that looking at your spreadsheet is not providing, and coaching to numbers is getting you nowhere except in need of new employees (which I’m sure best buy will provide) to replace everyone you have held accountable (FIRED). Leading by fear and intimidation does not work! We thrived when we had leaders that respected us, trusted us and actually cared what we thought, why is that you ask? Well we respected them in return and did not want to let them down. We are now in constant fear of losing our jobs, not because we aren’t doing them well but, because we never know who they are trying to push out and replace with one of their buddies. Yet we are told to keep the environment fun for our employees. How do you do that exactly when you are overworked, underpaid, in fear of losing your job, and feel like the life has been sucked out of you when you walk in the door? There is no work life balance, you are expected to be at your store a minimum of 50 hours a week however, it isn’t out of the norm to work 60 or 70. We take conference calls on off days as well as answering calls from the store, payroll on Sundays, a scheduling system that takes you entirely too long to write an ineffective schedule, impromptu mandatory meetings that require you to scramble and change said schedule. We are pulled out of the store too much and still expected to get everything done and stay on task. If you are looking for a career for your life to revolve around, look no further you found the right place but, you can’t say you were not warned!
“Family company” HA! I don’t treat my family like that!
“own your business” only if you do and say what I tell you to do and say because if you don’t you are giving push back and combative.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are told regularly “it’s not what is said, it is how the customer perceives it that counts”, maybe upper management should take that advice “actions speak louder than words”
One last word of advice, it’s not wise to ask your employees to go on a website and write a review unless you are absolutely sure you are going to get a good one.

Wireless Vision Human Resources Manager responded to this review

Apr 11, 2014

Wireless Vision is committed to our open door communication culture and are always willing to listen and talk about your feedback and/or concerns. We do have formalized listening session schedules ... More

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Wireless Vision full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: great place to learn and grow and build a career with good income… Cons: can be long hours at times Advice to Senior Management: stay the current path continue to invest in strong people… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Retail Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wireless Vision

Pros: They have very competitive pay, multiple audits and tons of operational… Cons: They just brought in new VP and now new middle management recruited from Best Buy. They were in the process of losing their jobs.… Advice to Senior Management: Poor performance should never be managed with fear and intimidation. It should never be made personal...and never ever should someone be told it's all… More
There are newer reviews on Wireless Vision.

Worked for Wireless Vision? Contribute to the Community!