Wizards of the Coast

www.wizards.com
  www.wizards.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wizards of the Coast

Meaningful work on a worthwhile product.

Current Employee - Game Designer in Renton, WA
Current Employee - Game Designer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From the time I started my internship, I was given constant opportunities to do meaningful work on a worthwhile product with an empowering amount of autonomy while being plugged into a team of challenging and educational experts in the field of game design.

Cons

While our energy and attention to self-reflection is high, our process for acting on that self-reflection and evolving our process could use work.

54 Other Employee Reviews for Wizards of the Coast (View Most Recent)

"Unbalanced and unorganized"

Current Employee - Designer in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Designer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work on visually appealing and exquisite jobs.
    "Work" and life balance are good.

Cons

•Communication between departments is at minimum if none existent at times.
    •Security attempts just make your job complicated and unproductive.
    •Someone always gets fired during the Christmas Holidays.
    •Managers just do meetings and lunches, nothing more. Well and Facebook.
    •There are more managers and bosses than actual workers, which causes for the little people (workers) to be buried in work and are taken for granted.
    •Employee Moral y always LOW
    •Inconsistency, on everything!
    •Its funny how they hire people that don't really care for the product and decline those who live and breath the games.

Since most of the managers have no idea what is going on, please DO NOT get more involved.
    Let us do our jobs in peace and listen if we ask for something. Oh yeah and Meetings are completely pointless.

Work with great people but you can get buried in process

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast

Pros

Wizards of the Coast makes great products and most of the staff is very friendly and is excited to work on them. It also features a casual work environment that encourages you to share your ideas and opinions about any of its products or programs with management.

The company provides good benefits and is generous with vacation and time off as needed.

Cons

Wizards of the Coast always seems to be understaffed in spite of its continued growth. There are also confusing and sometimes conflicting processes required by the different departments. Together, these issues keeps everyone running and working harder to than should be necessary to keep up with their projects.

Salaries are generally 20% lower than at comparable companies and opportunities for advancement are sporadic.

Make sure the rank and file share in the company's success more than just through the yearly bonus. Everyone is worked harder than ever but seeming to receive less kudos and rewards for it.

There are newer employer reviews for Wizards of the Coast