Wolters Kluwer
www.wolterskluwer.com Alphen aan den Rijn, Netherlands 5000+ Employees

Incompetent leadership with inflexible middle management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

Pros- OK place to start learning
- Benefits are above average

ConsAnyone worth their salt has already left or is planning on leaving. There are several reasons for this:

- Unfair compensation: Some get wonderful salaries while others are left to feed on the scraps.
- Cowboy coding culture: The only way anything gets done on time is if someone steps up and works 60+ hour work weeks to finish it. Even then, requirements are incomplete and make no sense. Usually when I asked a BA a question to clarify the business' intentions their answer was simply 'I don't know' with no attempt to figure it out. This is a company that wants to be (even claims to be!) agile, but in reality uses the waterfall software development lifecycle.
- Management has no clue: The attitude at WKFS is: If it's not working, lay off the entire middle management, then hire one CTO and have him hire his friends. The new CTO then proceeds to 'shake things up' resulting in the exact same mismanagement. This cycle happens every few years.
- NIMBYism. 'But that's how we always did/do it!'. No one is willing to change and is overly protective of their jobs/area of work.
- Products/features customers do not want or need. I worked on one product for which this company had sunk literally millions of dollars into and yet after several years, had no customers for. Instead of taking the loss and writing it off as a failure, they attempted to 'integrate' it into other products sinking even more money into stuff no client wanted or asked for.
- Very slow moving. Change happens incredibly slowly for all the reasons previously state.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to fix everything yourself and get some outside help. Current leadership is completely ineffective at fixing anything. Lay off the people who've been there for 40+ years and refuse to change. Adapt or die at the hands of Thompson Reuters.

Upper Management more interested in following Corporate direction than adapting to the market reality

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good benefits Systems in place are robust as a result of… Cons: Upper management have little real understanding of the end user/consumer/market Corporate trying to get a return… Advice to Senior Management: Stop promising Corporate that you will meet unrealistic goals that can only be attempted by… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Perl Data Conversion Specialist

Perl Data Conversion Specialist (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than a year

Pros: generally friendly co-workers, good benefits Cons: management. tries to ramrod rigid, unrealistic production quotas; final contract undercut advertised salary by 5k; no understanding of differing complexity of disparate… Advice to Senior Management: develop/reward more technically competent management; bring technical consultant in to evaluate code quality and broken front… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Wolters Kluwer.

Worked for Wolters Kluwer? Contribute to the Community!

Wolters Kluwer – Why Work for Us?

Wolters Kluwer - When you have to be right ​​​ ​​Customers We serve professionals in the legal, tax, finance, and healthcare markets in over 150 countries​​ ​​Markets​ Legal, business, tax… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wolters Kluwer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wolters Kluwer CEO Nancy McKinstry. All reviews posted anonymously by Wolters Kluwer employees.