There are newer employer reviews for Wood Consulting

Make sure you get it in writing

Pros

Love the work that I do Love all of my co-workers Good benefits and salary if they actually give it to you

Cons

Make sure you get everything that they promise in writing or else you're not getting it at all. When I interviewed, I was told that I'd be temporary for 90 days, then there would be a review and they'd keep me on as full time or get rid of me. With full time status came benefits and a higher salary. When it came time for the 90 day review there was suddenly a "misunderstanding" and they had no intention of making any of the temporary employees full time. This was news to all of us. GET IT IN WRITING

Advice to Management

Make good on your verbal promises and you won't have so much turn over

Other Employee Reviews for Wood Consulting

Wonderful small company to work for that's led by a dynamo!

Former Employee - Data Analyst Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Wood is an inspiring woman who has built a company from the ground up. She leads by example and handles many aspects of her business single-handedly, from HR to Business Development. For the contract I was on, the salary and benefits were competitive, even against companies many times the size of Wood (i.e. publicly traded full-fledged consulting firms).

Cons

The challenges working here were just those specific to government contracting in general (uncertainty about long-term prospects, internally or otherwise). For self-directed people who value independence and don't need constant support and frequent interfacing with front office, this is a great company to work for (especially if you want to work as a government contractor).

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work. If it weren't for a move that brought me to another state, I would have stayed at Wood.

Not Worth Your Time, Talent, or Value as an Asset to a Company

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: *You're employed and can pay your bills. *The education and training benefit has a value higher than typical to the DC market.

Cons

*Has paid workers less than they were supposed to by law and/or contractual agreement with a client, which led to a thorough investigation and ended with backpay for affected parties. *Hostile work environment *General sense of work-site management not trusting workers and workers not trusting work-site management and/or HQ/Executive leadership *Work-site management treats workers as though they are dispensible. *Favoritism runs rampant (and is not tied to quality/quantity of work products) *Work-site managers give conflicting direction to workers, which can vary day to day and have domino effects such as giving client impression that workers are unorganized/incompetent *HR doesn’t take action on issues that are reported. *Executive leadership doesn’t take action on issues that are reported. *HQ/Executive leadership is very disconnected from what happens at non-HQ work locations. *HQ/Executive leadership rarely, if at all, engages employees working at non-HQ work locations to gauge employee morale and job satisfaction *Very little room for career growth.

Advice to Management

Do more to show employees that you value them as assets to the company by paying them comparable to the DC job market for their skills and abilities and showing them that their voices matter so that they know they can trust you and aren’t just another body helping to pay overhead costs. Regularly engage employees at work-site locations to gauge their morale and job satisfaction, and take action when the results are not in your favor. Create and maintain a truly open door policy by reaching out to employees to see if there any problems, issues, or concerns that they have that you can help them resolve and if they do, then actually DO something to help them find a resolution. Open communication with your HR personnel to find out what issues have arisen at work-site locations each month and track those issues to resolution.