There are newer employer reviews for Wood Consulting

Make sure you get it in writing

I have been working at Wood Consulting

Pros

Love the work that I do
Love all of my co-workers
Good benefits and salary if they actually give it to you

Cons

Make sure you get everything that they promise in writing or else you're not getting it at all. When I interviewed, I was told that I'd be temporary for 90 days, then there would be a review and they'd keep me on as full time or get rid of me. With full time status came benefits and a higher salary. When it came time for the 90 day review there was suddenly a "misunderstanding" and they had no intention of making any of the temporary employees full time. This was news to all of us.

GET IT IN WRITING

Make good on your verbal promises and you won't have so much turn over

reviews filtered by
  1. Wonderful small company to work for that's led by a dynamo!

Former Employee - Data Analyst Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Wood is an inspiring woman who has built a company from the ground up. She leads by example and handles many aspects of her business single-handedly, from HR to Business Development.

For the contract I was on, the salary and benefits were competitive, even against companies many times the size of Wood (i.e. publicly traded full-fledged consulting firms).

Cons

The challenges working here were just those specific to government contracting in general (uncertainty about long-term prospects, internally or otherwise). For self-directed people who value independence and don't need constant support and frequent interfacing with front office, this is a great company to work for (especially if you want to work as a government contractor).

Just keep up the good work. If it weren't for a move that brought me to another state, I would have stayed at Wood.

2. Stay Far Away

Former Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The other technical writers were great to work with while they lasted, and helped alleviate stress about perpetual firings, high turnover, erratic decision making, and inconsistent workloads. After the company had to raise the pay rate the compensation became competitive for similar positions in DC (although over a year later promised back-pay reimbursement checks have still not been sent). The office is in a good enough location.

Cons

Where to begin?

Incredibly high turnover. 15+ employees rotated through technical writer positions in just over a year, either fired without warning in knee-jerk reactions to fluctuations in the workload or quitting for more stable jobs elsewhere. New employees were hired immediately after the firings to backfill for open positions, while those still at Wood kept an eye on the door.

Conflicting guidelines. The training materials and internal documents were an incoherent and error-riddled mess -not encouraging for a technical writing office! Editorial guidelines established many years earlier and never fully updated were constantly being amended with conflicting information at the whim of management/clients. This made ensuring correct content almost impossible.

Inconsistent workloads. Complicated editorial assignments often changed hands several times mid-project before completion as their original writers were fired or quit. This left some employees with too much work and others with almost none (one employee even slept at his desk on a daily basis).

An outside point of view is needed, as management is too embedded to see the problems and solutions.

There are newer employer reviews for Wood Consulting