Woodforest National Bank

There are newer employer reviews for Woodforest National Bank

Look elsewhere

Current Employee - Retail Banker in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Retail Banker in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Woodforest National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get benefits the cheapest benefits I have ever had by an employer.

Cons

No real plus for doing a good job.

116 Other Employee Reviews for Woodforest National Bank (View Most Recent)

Enjoyable Career

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at Woodforest National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay and benefits
    enjoyable team environment
    opportunities for growth
    flexible schedule
    solid business model
    community involvement

I am very thankful to work for this company and enjoy my job a great deal. There is ample room for growth if you are intelligent and willing to put in the effort to learn about the products and services, and develop yourself as a leader and good employee.

Cons

sometimes HR has policies that keep them from hiring the best candidate
    uniforms need improvement or elimination
    you will work weekends, some holidays, nights (it is a "retail" schedule) - just know that when you apply

listen to employees and customers (which I believe you do) and anticipate market changes and areas for growth (also being done).

Wrong company for a career

Current Employee - Retail Banker
    Current Employee - Retail Banker

I have been working at Woodforest National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a broad understanding of banking. You learn how to open checking accounts, savings accounts, business accounts, merchant services, UTMA accounts, IRA's, and CD's. You lean how to balance drawers and vaults. You learn how to process disputes and credits. Benefits are decent, you get a 6% match on your 401K, two weeks vacation for the first 4 years and then three weeks for more that 4 years of service, and you accrue sick time every time you get paid (biweekly).

Cons

You will have an extremely hard time moving up. There is primarily 3 jobs available; retail banker, branch manager and regional manager. You do so much work for very minimal pay. You start out at approximately $10/hr and you get an annual review which generally will pay .25 more. The bank is open 7 days a week and every holiday except Christmas. Most management is off every Sunday so if you go to church GOOD LUCK getting off. The company doesn't empower the associates at all. They don't trust you! There is no training. If you have a customer that come in and wants to open a business account you have to read the BEM (branch employee manual) to find out step by step instructions on the documents you need and how to open the account. There is not one that is willing to help you! If you call the business department for assistance they will say to follow the BEM. You have to market! Marketing at most stores is standing in front of the branch and hand out brochures all day. Uniforms are awful. You have to buy shits, one for every day of the week ($25.95/ for each shirt). You do get the occasional bonus. My bonus was $53.00 for making ALL the goals set forth by the company for the QUARTER (so its and "extra" $18/per month).

Please empower your employees more. I applied for a management position approximately 5 times and fell through the cracks every time. I have stayed true to the company for 5 years. I want a career not a dead end job. I am working the same hours as my BM and doing the same basic job. Its hard to stay motivated when you apply for a BM position and the individual that gets hired is a shift manager from Friendly's restaurant. What do you think that looks like from my perspective or co-workers perspective? The time, dedication and HARD work (my branch has not missed account goal or CIP goal for two consecutive years) that I devoted to the company was not appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for Woodforest National Bank