Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

www.wilsoncenter.org
  www.wilsoncenter.org
There are newer employer reviews for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

An excellent place to work

Former Employee - Scholar Intern in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Scholar Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

- You get to work with a lot of great people; you get the feeling that everyone there enjoys coming to work.
- Intellectually stimulating (probably obvious).
- A lot of flexibility/freedom for doing your work.
- It is a great opportunity to gain valuable research experience and knowledge on international issues.
- Highly prestigious institution, which offers the opportunity to meet a lot of influential/knowledgeable people.
- Simply a great place to work.

Cons

I did not experience anything particularly negative during my internship at the Wilson Center. I do, however, wish that I could have had some more feedback on the research I was conducting, as well as more opportunities to interact with the scholars in order to learn more. I express these concerns because at times the position can be very autonomous, and at times it can feel that all you are taking away from the experience is the information from your readings or presentations you attend. With that said, it is only fair to say that this is likely to vary depending on which scholar(s) you work for, so not all interns will have this experience. Overall, I feel that I was provided adequate feedback and interaction with my scholars; I just wish there was a little more.

I did not take it as a negative, but future interns may want to know that their is limited opportunity to secure a job with the Wilson Center. Of the interns I know that were able to gain employment with the Center, they were the interns associated with the various programs, not scholar interns. However, don't be discouraged by this because there are plenty on networking opportunities if you are looking to parlay this into a job.

As someone who was an intern and generally only interacted with the scholars, I can't give any advice or feedback to management that would be meaningful. I will say, though, that the internship program is great and all involved with it should be commended for their great work.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (View Most Recent)

I have never been around people so happy to come to work as at the WWC.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

The people are friendly, the research is cutting-edge, the location is prestigious (as well as the name), flexibility in the workplace is exceptional, and it is a hub of scholarly information and research from across global, cultural, and class lines. The interns are probably the hardest working group of any think-tank in the city, and I would be proud and eager to hire one.

Cons

Because of its public/private funding model, there are predictable and tiresome questions about the lean of its research. Apparently the words "independent" and "objective" in its mission statement do not allay these fears.

Do not let a changing of the guard slow or divert the efforts of the Center. There is no sense in reinventing the wheel just because Lee [Hamilton] is gone. Stay the course, a thousand points of light, and all that....

Fantastic Environment -- you have to leave and come back to be promoted

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

- Amazing people
    - Happy place to work
    - Breadth of subjects studied makes for a diverse and lively work experience

Cons

- Low glass ceiling -- you need to leave and come back if you want to be promoted.
    - High turn over for entry level positions.
    - Low salaries.

- Development staff should be assigned to fund-raise for specific programs
    - Tuition assistance would be great
    - Staff training programs are needed for administrative tasks