There are newer employer reviews for Word & Brown

It was fine while It lasted

I worked at Word & Brown

Pros

There were several business opportunities, and a lot of job openings at one time 3 years ago, when I first joined the company. It seemed like the future was rosy.

Cons

However, the President of our division decided to disband and closed our operations and move it out of state. proceeded to lay everyone off which were a few hundred people.

Spend money on employees not on yachts to take trips to Catalina, and around Newport Harbor for entertaining prospective brokers. Spend the money on retaining talented employees.

24 Other Employee Reviews for Word & Brown (View Most Recent)

An Excellent Company with an Awesome Team of Caring Professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Word & Brown full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The team you will work with at Word & Brown cares about their performance. They demand quality and are articulate in their communication of clear and concise requirements. Subject Matter Expertise abounds with many staff throughout the company with tenures of 10 or more years. This company has multiple divisions; some FAR better and some FAR worse to work for, choose carefully!

Cons

Upper management (not the owners, who are fantastic) have little leadership acumen and are either inserting themselves where they shouldn't, or excusing themselves where they are needed to make leadership decisions because they don't want the accountability. When projects go wrong leadership demands that everyone point fingers at each other and it makes it hard to trust leadership because they'd through anyone under the bus they can to maintain their position - which is why they are at the top. It's toxic.

Define your leadership by building camaraderie in your teams. When something goes wrong, YOU'RE to blame, not the team. Figure out what YOU did wrong and fix yourself.

Word & Brown Response

Sep 9, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback. With our new CIO on-board, we are confident that concerns will be heard and addressed.

Was fun at first, but it's a "Boys Club" so you soon realize how bad the place is.

I worked at Word & Brown

Pros

Catalina trip & Christmas Party

Cons

Nepotism. Horrible senior management that gets away with terribly planned out business decisions that causes the company to lose money. Others lose their jobs because of it and the guys in charge keep on making bad decisions.

Clean up you executive team regardless of how long they have been there. If they are losing the company money let them go and not your hard working employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Word & Brown