Excellent assistance and cooperation

Current Employee - Freelance Writer  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Words & Numbers as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Well-defined project
Great assistance
Cooperative and receptive staff
Excellent feedback
Scope for growth

Cons

As I was a remote worker, I feel that issuing invoices for each of the assignments was cumbersome.

Mar 30, 2013Senior Manager

Thank you for your review. We will look into the invoicing process to determine if it can be improved.

Other Reviews for Words & Numbers

Flexible, Family Oriented, Great

Current Employee - Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Words & Numbers

Pros

I am a working parent and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with how flexible this company is. I see children openly accepted, rather than shunned, when there are snow days, or crazy dismissal days. If I have to take off all of a sudden due to family illness, or other emergencies, this is allowed with no problems. Working from home is very doable and the managers, staff, and company are very flexible. There is even an onsite childcare, which the company has invested in, which tells you what they value - work balance and family. The other thing which is great is that plenty of people who have worked at Words & Numbers and chose to move on, still stay in touch. Many come back knowing now that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. Many continue to to part-time, freelance work, and it goes to show that people feel they can continue the relationship with the company very easily which is pretty cool. Some have left and became clients, still sending work back to Words & Numbers! How cool is that?

Cons

As with all companies, this one is no different in that they are evolving to the new economy and struggled a bit in the past two years. This meant that we have seen changes, some positive, others not as much, but I give them credit for trying new things and keeping doors open for communication. I think if you want information, you can get it.

There are plenty of things going right at Words & Numbers - It is a great culture, and the work is creative and important to education. Over communicate and let the people there know that you are there if they need you.

Mar 29, 2013Senior Manager

Thank you for your review. It is always great know about positive experiences and we will continue to work on communication.

Simply Put: A Mess

Former Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Words & Numbers

Pros

There are some smart people there with good ideas. Sometimes they mean well.

Cons

Management is in the toilet. The company seems to restructure every six months or so. The departments differed in their levels of chaos when I left. I would say science was probably the best run (and was also the smallest), followed by humanities, and math is far behind both. Or was--the departments have restructured again since I left, so things may have changed.

The company tends to put far too many people into management positions who are severely underqualified. Employee trainings are often a joke (three copyediting trainings in the space of six months?).

Feedback is rarely given for work produced, usually because supervisors are overloaded with work and don't have the time or management training to give appropriate, constructive feedback.

People are also assigned to projects seemingly at random, with no regard for the past experiences of these employees or thought given to what they might either want to do or be good at doing.

Read the above "cons" above, study the resumes of potential employees and put more thought into hiring (especially in this job market where there ought to be loads of qualified applicants), listen to your employees, don't take employee feedback as a personal attack, and focus on giving more meaningful training to a workforce largely untrained in educational content development.

Mar 29, 2013Senior Manager

Thank you for your thoughts. As a services-based company, we need to be flexible in organization to meet client and market changes. We believe the best training for managing projects is on-the-job ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Words & Numbers.

Worked for Words & Numbers? Contribute to the Community!