Great people , great company, great leadership

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Workday is a company full of smart and dedicated people that work their butts off. I love coming to work and being around professionals that are willing to help each other and listen to each other.

Cons

Seems like the company has started inserting many levels of management and not sure what they all do

Grow existing talent

Other Reviews for Workday

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday

Pros

Disruptive technology
    Impressive brand name customers
    Top leadership well respected in the industry
    IPO on the horizon
    Chance to make a mark on a promising new company

Cons

The term "bait and switch" comes to mind when thinking about my experience at Workday. I was sold on the idea of joining up with a hot company that values building and grooming talent. That is the whole premise of what Workday's very own product is supposed to provide...isn't it? I was promised that there would be ample opportunities to explore different areas within the organization and grow my career. Soon after joining the team, I came to the harsh realization that was not the case.

The leadership of the sales development team quickly proved that they make empty promises. The idea of "talent management" and helping employees to grow is nothing more than a feel-good slogan on the front page of the website. Employees are not treated in a respectful and adult manner, and are openly criticized in front of peers. Team morale only continues to decrease, and there is no improvement in sight.

If you want to continue to attract top talent, you better start taking a look at how well the current talent gets treated by those you put in management positions.

Good break after graduating from UC Berkeley

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Laid back attitude, allowed to work from home sometimes, good work-life balance are all great parts of working at Workday. Also, the company is successful and generally people are upbeat. Also nobody gets fired here. So considering the company outlook, this is a great place to work if your priority is job security and low stress.

Cons

Limited exposure to widely used frameworks and development tools--this is especially true for Application Developers. On the Tools team you get more exposure, but it's mostly just Java and a little bit of XML processing. The problem is a "Not Invented Here" attitude, that results in more work for you and fewer employable skills to gain. A little too much company kool-aid; sometimes the hype gets to me. Not all managers are top notch (they get fired more rarely than employees) and some are just plain ineffective and annoying (but most of them were at least developers at some point). Also pay is low.

Give your employees enough work to feel like they are productive. Don't be a nervous nanny, nobody likes a micro-manager (a little bit of an epidemic here). Treat your employees like adults, not kids.

There are newer employer reviews for Workday.

Worked for Workday? Contribute to the Community!