amazing, but...

I have been working at Workday

Pros

hugely talented team, lots of opportunities for creative and sometimes groundbreaking work. across the board, people are great to work with and there are minimal politics between individuals or teams.

Cons

the team is generally overworked and underpaid relative to competitive opportunities. the hard work is good, and the teamwork is good, but there's often just too much of it.

Advice to Management

put a bit more focus on investing in the employee base rather than just building the next big company. it would be great to see more investment in individual and team development, rather than just company and product.

reviews filtered by

Are you ex-PeopleSoft, like to work long hours and weekends?

I worked at Workday

Pros

Great product and a lot of great people who are excited about making an impact in HCM, Payroll, and Financials space. Dave and Aneel are good leaders and have the respect of employees. Everyone works hard to make an impact and wants to make customers successful and referenceable.

Cons

Agree with other comments that it is political and if you do not have the "right" manager, the hard work and sacrifice will often go unnoticed; managers constantly managing upwards and have often times used employees as scapegoats. Lot's of VP's (see website) add to the bureaucracy; lots of overhead. Many upper/middle management are ex-PeopleSoft which makes it very cliquey. Process is still very old ERP/PeopleSoft oriented; re-creating the wheel in a lot of ways.Should incorporate more people from other/diverse backgrounds with new ideas and listen to employees with new or challenging ideas.

Advice to Management

Hire talent outside the PeopleSoft ecosystem. Do not make this PeopleSoft 2.0. Ensure middle/upper management take care of the employees and provide the appropriate support to their and foster new ideas and risk taking. Reward the long days, nights and weekends, and sacrifice of family.

An Excellent Place to Work!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Workday has restored my belief that corporate America can provide jobs that are fun, rewarding and challenging. My managers have respect for my work/life balance and I feel I can give honest feedback to anyone in the company (including upper management). My coworkers all seem genuinely enthusiastic about their jobs and that makes a huge difference for my attitude too. Recently I was walking through the development cubes and saw a developer staring intently at his screen with a wide smile on his face. I figured he was looking a youtube video, but when I peeked at the screen I saw that he was working on some code. He, like many other people I have seen around the office, just seemed to be enjoying his work. It's a refreshing and contagious attitude that I really enjoy at Workday.
    Of course having Dave Duffield as Co-CEO is fantastic. He is a great person, genuine and welcoming with a drive to build a company that lasts. The other thing that is really powerful about having Dave as Co-CEO is that he attracts really talented people based on his excellent (and deserved) reputation. I really feel honored to be part of the team at Workday.

Cons

I wish I was closer to the HQ (I work from home) so that I could participate in more of the company activities. A vast majority of the staff are very experienced, but we will need to start hiring junior people that can grow as the company matures. I realize that the executives are working hard on this, but it will be an ongoing challenge.

Advice to Management

Finding great junior people will be an ongoing challenge for Workday. Over time we will end up with a generation gap that will be difficult to fill if we don't work hard on recruiting college grads and people new to the industry.